• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Injuried Cockatiel feet?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

thorpmetro

Moving in
Well, I am new to this site....but glad that I found it.....We have a 3 birds, a sun conure (Damien Andrew), a green quaker (Donovan Anthony) and a cockatiel (Daisy Ann). We also had another cockatiel (Duchess Anya) who sadly passed away maybe 2 months ago. We are fairly new bird owners. Almost a year an a half. Here is the situation.....we have 2 cages, and the birds are able to openly roam between the two cages. All the birds seem to get along. However, the boys (Damien and Donovan) can be a bullies at times. There has always been enough room for the girls to get away. Today, my daughter brought Daisy to us and showed me her feet. It actually looks like her toenails are missing!? Another of the toenails is obviously falling off. She doesn't want to put weight on the one foot where the toenail is falling off. It is clear that it is not a fresh wound. We are wondering if the boys bullied her and actually bit her toes off? Not sure that a trip to a vet is necessary because of the healing process. We have actually seperated the boys cage into another room, so there is not the chance of bullying anymore. Thoughts would be helpful.:huh: :confused:

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
OH yes this happens!
Could you give us a picture of the foot...reason I'm asking is IF the cut has gone through the bone and it's not healed, this could be an issue with infection/and expecially pain right now...might need to be taken off to heal properly...
I keep Cayenne Pepper to stop bleeding on my birds/myself...it is antibacterial and helps heal cuts/wounds fast!
Besides not putting weight on the foot, how does the bird look?:hug8:

thorpmetro

Moving in
overall, i think she is doing ok... I hope she will be fine...she is such a sweet bird...here are the pictures i was able to get, she doesn't want to put much pressure on her left foot at all.

Attachments

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Is the part "above" the cut on the toe SWOLLEN????
Thank you for the pictures...
She looks beautiful...
Is she fluffed and not moving much or active and eating drinking?:hug8:

thorpmetro

Moving in
her toes don't seem to be swollen at all....right now she is on the back of the couch just sitting on the blanket...she is fluffed up a little...she is chirping here and there...seems to be eating and drinking. she is a beauty and very sweet

thorpmetro

Moving in
just checking her toe out, and the whole nail, seems to just be hanging on my a bit of skin....not sure what to do....do we leave it and let it fall off....let her deal with it....or do we take it off?

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
OK Personally, I would have her to the vet and let him take it off and MAKE sure the BONE is covered! Otherwise, she can have issues with the bone and the whole foot and you don't want that happening...
Yes, get her to a vet Monday and see what he says....When a bird is injured they are under a lot of stress, which lowers their body temp (normally 105-107º) and this can cause other problems to arise...I'm glad she is not with the other birds now because this would be an added stress on her...do you weigh her on a monthly or weekly scheduel?...this also will help you to know if your birds are coming down sick...weight loss is one of the first signs...
I really don't think it would be in her best interest to clip the skin/toe off...that is why I'm saying about a vet visit to insure other things are OK that a trained eye will see...:hug8:

thorpmetro

Moving in
Sadly, a trip to the vet is not in the future.....UNEMPLOYED! :( Right now she is relazing in the sun and chirping away...Like I said before, the wounds do not seem fresh and she is walking around fine and not limping. That is the confusion. All I can do right now is pray for the little fid!

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
So understand that issue!!!!
Just sent you a PM...:hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye