• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Injured Mourning Dove brought to me... help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

penny'smom

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Ashley
I just received a mourning dove (someone's child caught it; not sure if the injury occured before or during the capture :(). He/she has a hurt right wing - holding it slightly above the other. I have her in an 18x18x24 cage with thick perches (my Amazon's "emergency" cage), and she is out on my screened patio. I left the cage door open to see if she could fly, but she just flaps without getting much lift. I spoke with a wildlife rehabilitator, who told me to give her cage rest for 2-3 weeks, then check again for flight capability. She told me small seeds (keet or tiel varieties) would be fine to eat. The dove is eating, drinking, and pooping - so that's good I suppose. A few questions:

1. Should I keep her in a separate airspace from my 2 parrots? I'm assuming so, and washed my hands thoroughly after handling. It is summertime, but the patio stays reasonable cool.

2. Is there anything else they eat? Do they need to be misted for showers?

I am hoping she will recover and can be released, so I hesitate to spend time with her, for fear she will become more tame. I was thinking about adding a mirror to her cage, and would like some toy suggestions.

Any advice is appreciated!

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
yes, separate air space....I would not mist her for now..you do not know how ill she really is...glad she is eating and drinking and hopefully the patio is closed in so no predators can get her....keep her warm definitely....I don't think toys would be good right now....they can become tame...my hubby nursed onewith a broken wing..he fed her tiel and budgie seed..also mushed up worms and pablum (mixed with water, not milk)---hubby's mother bandaged up her wing...when we let her go, she was fine..she still hangs around..she flies crooked..she is totally unafraid of my hubby..but shies away from other humans...last year she brought her babies...I am surprised the rehab place didnt take her...call around and call them again..they are best equipped for th ese situations...good luck and bless you for taking her in.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
call your local wild life rescue they might be willing to help as it is a native bird

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Yes - the patio is entirely enclosed, so she is safe. The temperature is fine at all times of day under there. The rehab lady has a lot of birds now, and she said it's just a matter of wait and see - there is no other place in the area for me to take wildlife. I work from home (artist) so I am around anyhow, and I offered to keep her here.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
the rehab person is coming over tomorrow afternoon to look at/feel her wing and see if there is a break, and if it needs to be bound.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
please keep us updated....good signs the birdie is eating....

Dana Lee

Real Name
Dana
Aw, I hope she gets well soon. We have mourning doves in a tree in our yard, I love them.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Alright - good news. My dove does not have a break in her wing. The rehab person said that either the wing will mend itself in the next month or so, or if it never does, there is nerve damage and she cannot ever be released. So hopefully she will be able to fly away after a month or so of cage rest. If not, I will find her a home with someone who has other doves.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Wow, the dove is certainly getting back to her wild self. Each day, she is more bothered by me cleaning out the cage/food/water. She is getting some major lift when she flaps her wings. I'm so glad to see her improving!

Crickets Mom

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shelly Foss
So glad to hear all is going well. I love doves. Then build the crappiest nest though. I don't know how those little babies don't fall out. Sounds like he has a good home if things don't work out for his wing.

penny'smom

Real Name
Ashley
Great news! :heart: I released the dove this morning. She has been holding her wing normally, and flew around my patio when she got out (I was changing water - not quickly enough, apparently). I kept her another day after that. She had grown more restless and stressed over the last few days, and I was afraid she would hurt herself flapping in the small cage. I'm sure she's happy to be free again - she took off like a speeding bullet!

Status
Not open for further replies.