• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Injured Conure

ETSun

Moving in
Hi Everyone. My Baby was bitten by a dog( 3 days ago). She was taken to the vet immediately. The bleeding stopped, The vet did not handle her, just observed. She seems to have a crack on one side of the beak and a dent on the other it was at the top of the beak. She is eating, poo normal colour and can fly. She is fluffed I think more than normal and is sleeping alot on my daughter(bonded the most with) outside of the cage ( normally sleeps only inside cage, very active) She is also putting her head/beak around into her wing even in her cage and outside on daughters shoulder, normally does not do this( she normally sleeps on the top of her O swing). I am not sure if there is anything else wrong or I should be doing. She has pain meds once a day and anti biotics morning and night. Is this normal behaviour after trauma? Could someone please help with some advice.

Thank you

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The bleeding stopped
Where was the bird bleeding?

The vet did not handle her, just observed.
The vet didn't touch the bird? Didn't listen to heart, breathing, etc.? Did vet feel for broken wing or bones. Did vet do xray?

She seems to have a crack on one side of the beak and a dent on the other it was at the top of the beak.
Is the inside of the mouth damaged?

She is eating, poo normal colour and can fly. She is fluffed I think more than normal and is sleeping alot on my daughter(bonded the most with) outside of the cage ( normally sleeps only inside cage, very active) She is also putting her head/beak around into her wing even in her cage and outside on daughters shoulder, normally does not do this( she normally sleeps on the top of her O swing). I am not sure if there is anything else wrong or I should be doing. She has pain meds once a day and anti biotics morning and night. Is this normal behaviour after trauma? Could someone please help with some advice.
IMO, your bird sounds quite stressed and in pain which is normal after such a trauma. Dependent on your answers, I would suggest your bird immediately see an avian vet that will do a hands on check up and xrays. Give an injection for pain and possibly keep the bird for supportive care.

Last edited:

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What species is your bird?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Loss of blood and pain can make them sleepy, and unfortunately mammals have stuff in their saliva that can cause really bad illnesses in birds. I have the same questions as Karen though

ETSun

Moving in
Thank you guys for the replys. She was bleeding from the cracked area from her nose. She is a conure. The vet monitored her activity and breathing extra ( this happened three days ago). There does not seem to be any laboured breathing. She can fly. She has pain meds its just a liquid in a syringe. She is eating mango right now. She also has an antibiotic to stop the infection. She is just sleeping outside the cage now, on my daughters shoulder with her head around in between her wings.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
What does the report content mean?
That sends a message to the staff if they need to come in and intervene in a thread. Use it if you see a post that violates the community guidelines :)

ETSun

Moving in
do you think she is sleeping to repair and trauma or is it something else

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It is hard for us to know that information. Antibiotics and pain meds can make them feel like crap on top of already feeling like crap, but so can an infection.

ETSun

Moving in
I was wondering if the meds were doing that. The vet said she can't tell about the internal damage, just time. Her poo is normal.

ETSun

Moving in
This is her 3rd day on meds now the dr said only 5 days does this seem right. Sorry for all the questions I am really scared.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If you are concerned, then I would get another opinion myself. 5 days seems like a short time but it depends on the medicine, the delivery method, and the infection it is fighting.

They most certainly can tell if there is internal damage. That is what xrays are for.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I'm sorry this happened to your bird. Truly, if the vet you took your bird to doesn't specialize in birds then a second opinion with a certified avian vet would be warranted. Saliva from dogs can be deadly to birds. It sounds like it suffered a severe trauma and at least you have pain meds and an antibiotic for it. What exactly are the medications? Your vet said five days... five days for what? The antibiotics? Personally, I have no clue what medication would be appropriate as far as an antibiotic or length of time it should be given. A vet who has seen this type of injury before would know which is why we suggest an avian veterinarian. As an aside.... this is a post made a few days ago that would be worth reading for you regarding mixing birds with other pets in the home. How did the dog manage to get your bird? It's sad, but every testimonial helps to convince others who have trust in their dogs and other pets to change how mixed companions are integrated in the home.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The vet said she can't tell about the internal damage, just time.
This is her 3rd day on meds now the dr said only 5 days does this seem right. Sorry for all the questions I am really scared.
If this were my bird I would have my bird seen immediately by an avian vet that would do a hands on check up and xrays. Give an injection for pain, fluids and possibly keep the bird for supportive care.