• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Injured cockatiel

Ally02

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Alanis
I've had a cocktail for almost 6 months now and he came with an injured wing that won't let him fly and hel will never be able to but he tries to ans hurt it more and I don't know what to do to stop him from trying to fly since he will never be able to again. Also he has 3 toes on one foot and 4 in the other and he struggles to stand for a long time with only 3 toes. He is about 10 months old now and I asked a vet to check him out and she said he'll get too stressed when traveling.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Alanis :)

I asked a vet to check him out and she said he'll get too stressed when traveling.
Maybe look for a different vet? Yes, sometimes the vet visit can be stressful, but they are important.

he came with an injured wing that won't let him fly and hel will never be able to but he tries to ans hurt it more
Is he clipped? Maybe it is something to discuss with the vet if the flight attempts are worsening the injury. Though I would imagine he would still try, so adding non pilling fleece blankets to line the cage, large rope perches, boings, long ladders, yoga mats around the cage could all help prevent serious injuries.

Also he has 3 toes on one foot and 4 in the other and he struggles to stand for a long time with only 3 toes.
That is interesting and definitely worth telling the vet about. I have a bird with a closed foot so she only has 2 toes on onefoot if you will (the others don´t ¨work¨) and she has no problems standing or gripping with the other foot. So maybe there´s something else contributing to that.