• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Injured Budgie

Lovebudgie

Meeting neighbors
My budgie got into a fight and got badly injured , he has multiple wounds on the head, leg , vent , near eyes, at the edges of the beak . The bleeding has stopped now (applied some corn starch) but I am worried that he has lost a lot of blood and his tail has been bobbing and his breathing looks a bit laboured . What should I do so as to compensate for his blood loss? as there are no avian vets available here.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
no avian vets available
Are there any exotics vets? Or cat/dog ones that will tend to birds? You may have to call and ask each vet over the phone, if they say no, you can ask if they know who you can call.

Lovebudgie

Meeting neighbors
Are there any exotics vets? Or cat/dog ones that will tend to birds? You may have to call and ask each vet over the phone, if they say no, you can ask if they know who you can call.
I do have a few contacts of poultry vets but I have already lost two budgies because of their wrong treatments . I cannot afford losing any more. And about the cat or dog vets I checked , the reviews aren't very good , so I am hesitant getting my budgie treated there. Please let me know if you have any natural remedies for my budgie .

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Who was he fighting with?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Budgie fights are serious. If he survives please put in a cage by himself. You may need to make a hospital cage.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Hope he stays on the road to recovery.

Lovebudgie

Meeting neighbors
Hope he stays on the road to recovery.
Thanks for your words . Please pray for him.
Also I was wondering if I should give him homemade pedialyte (mixture of honey , water & baking soda) ? Would it help him rehydrate? since he might have lost a lot of body fluids due to bleeding . Need your suggestion on it as I couldn't find any information about this on internet.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Do NOT use honey. Sugar would be fine.

Lovebudgie

Meeting neighbors
Its been about 10 days since Casper has been injured and although his wounds are a bit better than before but he is hesitant to eat by himself, so I am hand feeding him every 3 hours . He sometimes accepts the food and sometimes doesn't. His poop looks ok . But I am worried as why is he not eating his food on his own . What should I do ?

Lovebudgie

Meeting neighbors
I wish I had a reliable avian vet here ! I am really frustrated to see my happy and chirping budgie sitting quietly and not eating his food properly. I don't wanna lose him at any cost . Please I need your suggestions on to how to improve his condition. Also , should I let him out in his flock? ,maybe he is missing his flock which is making him sad and thus he is not eating properly

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
You can try making birdie breads. I will check for a recipe for you. After it bakes you can cut into small portions for him and also freeze some. My budgies loved it. I added pumpkin puree and cooked mashed sweet potato. Sprinkle millet seed on top .

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne

See if he would eat half a hard boiled egg mashed with some seeds in it.

Last edited:

Lovebudgie

Meeting neighbors
UPDATE : My budgie Casper has grown pin feathers near at the wounded areas . He is healing slowly . Even I made him fly with his flock today ( He was flying ok) . But my concern is that as he was eating seeds from my hand just a moment ago , with his head bent he closed both of his eyes. Now I am worried if he is just sleepy or something's wrong with him ?

PS : For yesterday night I had kept him in my room where my alarms kept ringing continuosly . The alarms were set to wake me up to feed him .

Lovebudgie

Meeting neighbors
Also it's his feeding time right now , should I feed him or let him sleep , since he falls asleep in the middle of eating . His crop doesn't look full. What should I do ?

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
If he continues to be sleeping excessively and not eating i would call your vet just to be on the safe side since he had a pretty severe injury. Birds dont always eat on a schedule. Does he seem hungry at other times?

Lovebudgie

Meeting neighbors
Sometimes he makes some sounds ( low but like a baby budgie) begging for food from his partner.While other times I do asses his hunger based on how fast or slow is he eating from my hand. Some foods still exicte him & he is motivated to eat.