• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

injured bird

elenorcat

Moving in
Real Name
elenor
Hello! me and my girlfriend just got this little budgie from the pet store she works at, we have other budgies and she got this one because he is injured.. i don’t know what’s wrong with her but she will not put pressure on one of her legs, she’s hobbling around and cant correctly sit on perches. any advice??

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Has the bottom of her foot been checked for bumble foot? Has her foot been looked at for any injuries or hot spots?
These poor pet shop budgies often get only dowels to perch on.

elenorcat

Moving in
Real Name
elenor
Has the bottom of her foot been checked for bumble foot? Has her foot been looked at for any injuries or hot spots?
These poor pet shop budgies often get only dowels to perch on.
no we got her tonight, she can move the foot but doesn’t wanna put any weight on it. we tried a little splint but she hated it and didn’t react at all when we were touching the foot

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
If she can move it but doesn’t put weight on it then I’d really be wanting to look at the bottom of the foot for sores to start with.
If there are none, then I’d be looking/very gently feeling for hot spots, redness, swelling in her foot and in her leg.

I really don’t think trying to splint her foot/leg is a good idea as a splint would usually be used for a break which are certainly not a good idea to treat at home without knowing that the bone is sitting as it should be before the splint is attached, often when people do this at home they cause as much damage as the damage they’re trying to fix, unfortunately this often leaves the bird with a totally unusable leg that often needs to be amputated.

I suggest you make an appointment with your closest AV ASAP. If she isn’t putting weight on it then there is definitely something wrong and she will be in a great deal of pain.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so glad you took this little budgie home! I hope you can successfully resolve this.

elenorcat

Moving in
Real Name
elenor
If she can move it but doesn’t put weight on it then I’d really be wanting to look at the bottom of the foot for sores to start with.
If there are none, then I’d be looking/very gently feeling for hot spots, redness, swelling in her foot and in her leg.

I really don’t think trying to splint her foot/leg is a good idea as a splint would usually be used for a break which are certainly not a good idea to treat at home without knowing that the bone is sitting as it should be before the splint is attached, often when people do this at home they cause as much damage as the damage they’re trying to fix, unfortunately this often leaves the bird with a totally unusable leg that often needs to be amputated.

I suggest you make an appointment with your closest AV ASAP. If she isn’t putting weight on it then there is definitely something wrong and she will be in a great deal of pain.
thank you so much for this reply! i really appreciate this advice i will make an appointment for her asap

elenorcat

Moving in
Real Name
elenor

another thing is that her foot looks very normal, we were touching and feeling it and she didn’t look uncomfortable or react. i’m so confused about it! we were touching her other leg and she moved it and didn’t let us mess with it

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
At a guess I’d say she’s not reacting either because she can’t feel what you’re doing or she can’t react by pulling that leg away due to injury stopping that movement- I really don’t know and there are a lot of guesses that could be made but guessing is not really helpful. Your little one definitely needs to see a vet as soon as they’re open and will see you- birds hide pain, injury and illness as their life depends on being fit and healthy, anytime they clearly show there is something wrong then that should be taken very seriously.
Most birds need to be taught to be tolerant of their feet being touched, held or fiddled with- they often bite each other’s feet when not getting along as feet are one of the few places that they can hurt each other easily.
She moved her good leg away probably as fast as you touched it- that’s a fairly normal behaviour until trained to allow or accept being touched there.

Can you offer her a cozy soft bottomed cage if she’s having trouble perching so she can safely get some rest and book a vet visit ASAP?

elenorcat

Moving in
Real Name
elenor
At a guess I’d say she’s not reacting either because she can’t feel what you’re doing or she can’t react by pulling that leg away due to injury stopping that movement- I really don’t know and there are a lot of guesses that could be made but guessing is not really helpful. Your little one definitely needs to see a vet as soon as they’re open and will see you- birds hide pain, injury and illness as their life depends on being fit and healthy, anytime they clearly show there is something wrong then that should be taken very seriously.
Most birds need to be taught to be tolerant of their feet being touched, held or fiddled with- they often bite each other’s feet when not getting along as feet are one of the few places that they can hurt each other easily.
She moved her good leg away probably as fast as you touched it- that’s a fairly normal behaviour until trained to allow or accept being touched there.

Can you offer her a cozy soft bottomed cage if she’s having trouble perching so she can safely get some rest and book a vet visit ASAP?
yes she has a cozy bottomed cage but she just wants to be able to perch :( we’re gonna get her to the vet when they’re opened! and i’m gonna do my best to accommodate her and make her comfortable!

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
I hope you can resolve your budgie's foot problem! Pad the cage bottom and I hope your lil featherbaby gets well soon!