• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Injured betta

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
We had a betta in a tank that went missing. Cleaned out the tank and no betta was found. I assumed the cat had figured out a way to get in the tank and either he jumped out or was scooped out. When the tank was empty we took in 2 pet bluegills from my brother. A few months later while giving the tank a good scrubbing I discover a betta!!! I have no idea where it has been hiding, because it hadn't been seen for at least 4 months. The only thing I can think of it that is was stuck inside the cavity of a decoration. Although, when I thought the cat had taken it, I had really cleaned out everything and even set it out of water to dry for a few days. The entire tank sat empty for at least a week. I feel horrible!!! When I found him he could barely swim and looked like he had some sort of injury to his mouth. Probably from the bluegills. Missing many scales, etc, etc, just in horrible shape. I don't have another free tank so he is currently in a larger betta bowl. Over that last week, his condition has improved a bit and he swims better. However, I think it either can't eat or has a lot of difficulty eating. When it tries to eat it spits out everything. He is not gaining any weight.

I have no idea what to do!!! I really don't want it to slowly starve to death!! :(:confused:

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
moved this to 911

you might also want to consult a fish forum -

sending healing energy and prayers

:sadhug2:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
That sounds so horrible and sad :( Maybe he was stuck as you said, in a decoration, or in the filter? I'm not a fish expert. But maybe offer smaller food, like flakes? If you aren't already doing so.

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oh no,I have no advice but I hope he will be ok :sadhug:

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Aw poor fishy. Those bettas can be really good hiders and like to get into the tightest of spots. I would say to to feed him small pieces of bloodworms. Most bettas love those. I am hoping your fishy will be ok.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so sorry. I hope he will be ok. Here is the fish site I use. Although it is mainly for Goldfish they do discuss other species and have a very good section for help.

Koko's Goldfish Forum

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
I have been trying super small flakes for days. He can suck in the flakes but is not swallowing. I talked with my vet just a bit ago. She suggested giving him a few more days, offering teeny flakes a few times a day and if nothing improves she instructed me on what to do to humanely euthanize him.

I feel so bad.:cry: I just can't believe he had been stuck somewhere for months. Poor little fishy!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Im sorry, they are tougher than we think they are...maybe he just needs a bit more time.

Daisy's Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tiffany
Aww poor thing.. :( I hope your little fishy feels better.. :hug8: Sending over healing vibes.. :hug8:

Ming-Ming

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ming-Ming
Betta fish are very tough fish!
I recommend making sure the water is warm with a heater for the tank. There is something you can buy called BettaFix, and it helps with damaged fins and scales. My betta was being eaten by my pleco and lost all his slime and his tail and fins were damaged, but this stuff actually helped a lot, and you don't need to worry about overdosing.

I personally prefer to feed my betta fish pellets, as flakes make the water cloudy, but you can try getting some frozen blood worms and offer them to him on a skewer. I place the skewer with a little worm on it close to the fish, and that usually tempts them to eat it.

Good luck! I hope he pulls through!

newf

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I have bettas, and this is the site I use for help. There are some great people on there that have helped me in the past. I hope he gets well soon. Good luck with your betta. You will need some aquarium salt to help his scales heal. One teaspoon per gallon of water, and do daily water changes. There is also a new fish food line called New Life Spectrum. They have betta food in very small pellets which he might be able to eat better. Blood worms are also a good idea. Protein etc. But check in with them and see what else they can tell you. It might help if you could post pictures on there as well so they can see what he looks like.

Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Clean clean water!I would do 50% -75% every day.
An Indian almond leaf added to his water for the bacterial infection.This is what they use in Thailand after they fight them.{:(} There is also a betta elixer made from Indian almond leaves.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole

Ribbit21

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Thanks for all the suggestions....he passed away a little while ago. I was able to get a better look at him and it looks like his mouth was injured. I don't think he was capable of eating. Poor little guy. At least he's not suffering anymore. :(

rikkitikki

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Erika
:sadhug: sorry to hear. Just found this thread, glad he's at peace now.

April

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Thanks for all the suggestions....he passed away a little while ago. I was able to get a better look at him and it looks like his mouth was injured. I don't think he was capable of eating. Poor little guy. At least he's not suffering anymore. :(
Oh no,I'm so sorry for your loss.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
I am so sorry for your loss.:sadhug:

kcbee

Animal Lover