• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Injured baby white-winged dove

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Hi everybody and everybirdy! It's Janet and TD. Some of you may already know this, but for those who don't, I found a baby dove 20 days ago. It's leg was broken. The top half of it's leg was a huge ball of pus and blood. I honestly didn't think he'd live through the night. He did. We used antibiotic cream on his leg. I fed him Kaytee Exact. His parents actually came, about the third day, and fed him through the bars of the cage! Long story short, I talked to the nearest wildlife rehab, which is in Albuquerque, yesterday. I'm currently in Truth or Consequences, 150 miles from them. The officer informed me that even if I had a way to get the bird to them, they would have to euthanize it. They are just so overwhelmed with injured animals due to the fires, the heat wave, etc. He told me I should keep it as a backyard pet if possible. I brought up the Migratory Bird Act. He said I shouldn't worry about that. It was designed to stop the exploitation of native birds and he doubted anyone would report someone helping a bird.

Here's my problem. I'm a full-time RV'er. We're looking for a house, but the market is not conducive to purchasing right now. I don't believe the RV park would appreciate me building an outdoor aviary. I don't have much more room in my RV for another bird, though I would find a way to accommodate him...IF....if his quality of life would warrant it. Here's a recent picture of his bad leg. I don't know if he'll ever be able to perch. Should we maybe ask a vet to remove the lower part of his leg? Could a dove and a cockatiel ever share a cage? Will he be happy without another dove? I don't want to just turn him loose like he is. He can move the leg, and his talons, but I doubt he can perch. He eats heartily. Seems very curious and engaging. Grooms himself. I just don't know what to do ... I really need some advice. Thanks!

1659804317007.jpg

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He's so precious :heart: . Let me tag @Birdbabe for you.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Poor little guy.