• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Injured baby dove

Alien J

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Not sure if this is where I should post this. This is a link to a short video of the white winged dove I'm trying to help. The left upper leg is quite swollen and you can see how his foot is. Do you think it's broken?

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Is there any type wildlife rehab in the area? I guess I would take there for help.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Is there any type wildlife rehab in the area?
The nearest one is in Albuquerque. That's 151 miles from here. I am thinking of calling though. When I found Miyetti back in 2016 I called every day for a week and never got a return call. Yet I could have received serious fines for having a band tailed pigeon in my possession. Same with this dove.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The nearest one is in Albuquerque. That's 151 miles from here. I am thinking of calling though. When I found Miyetti back in 2016 I called every day for a week and never got a return call. Yet I could have received serious fines for having a band tailed pigeon in my possession. Same with this dove.
Local vet might take him to pass onto a rehabber? I’ve dropped wild animals at the local vet for rehabbers in the past.

Alien J

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Janet Rush Van Eyck
Here's the baby Dove as of today. His parents, I'm assuming, came by and started feeding him through the bars of the cage.
1658771176408.jpg

He's eating seeds on his own now. And drinking water. Not gaining much weight, though. If you check the Facebook videos I've linked below, you can see how he is ambulating despite the horrible condition his left leg is in.
1658770320005.jpg

It's actually way better now than it was at first.

Haven't heard back from the rehab. Couldn't reach the vet. I'll be stopping by there (the vet's, that is) in the morning to talk to them and see if they can help this Dove out somehow. If only he was an Eurasian Collared Dove instead of a White Winged Dove. If he was it would be easier to just find him a home or give him a home myself.

Trying hard not to bond too much with him/her. Calling him/her Niko. Short for Pinocchio. Really big beak!