• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Injections for heavy metal intoxication

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
Good afternoon, my bird was diagnosed with heavy metal intoxication. I was given by my avian veterinary a treatment for my bird which I would have to inject 0.1 ml two time a day for 5 days then once a day after that for 14 days. I am very scare of hurting the bird they told me how to inject her. But is this normal that they give the injections to the people to inject at home. I did the first injection already, the bird didn’t even feel it. She didn’t even scream. By the way my bird is an umbrella cockatoo. When I took the needle out she bled a little very tiny like us whenever we get an injection. I was told to inject around the muscles where the keel bone is.
If anyone know more information that would help I would appreciate it. I am a first time bird owner so all of this is very new to me.
thank you

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It normally depends on the owners comfort level to give it and what it is. At my clinic we have several owners who will inject their own reptiles but many others that want us to do it instead. We don't see as many birds so I can't comment on that aspect of it.

@Milo

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
If you're comfortable with the clinic's instructions and your little one is comfortable with you doing injections at home it's perfectly safe. The pectoral (chest) muscles are a safe injection spot. A very small amount of blood can be normal after the injection because of superficial (close to the skin's surface) vessels. Give it a go through the weekend and if you still have questions or concerns I'd call the clinic so you can take her in and go through it in person. I find an in person conversation/demo is the easiest way to troubleshoot injections. It sounds like you two should be set though!

Karla2023

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Karla
If you're comfortable with the clinic's instructions and your little one is comfortable with you doing injections at home it's perfectly safe. The pectoral (chest) muscles are a safe injection spot. A very small amount of blood can be normal after the injection because of superficial (close to the skin's surface) vessels. Give it a go through the weekend and if you still have questions or concerns I'd call the clinic so you can take her in and go through it in person. I find an in person conversation/demo is the easiest way to troubleshoot injections. It sounds like you two should be set though!
Hi Milo thank you for the advice I will go to the clinic tomorrow she has her follow up appt. I have just given her the second injection and I think I did better than the first time.