• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Inherited a Beautiful Bird

BirdBritt

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brittany Bozzell
I don’t post much on forums. Y’all, I’m awkward, technologically challenged, and I’m likely doing this wrong (my apologies lol). I hope this isn’t breaking any rules. I was referred to this forum via Reddit.

Okay, I am so lost. My dad passed a few days ago. Below are pics of Max (or MAXI-rowwwww as Pops so endearingly called him) who is his beautiful white-bellied caique. I’ve known Max for 17 years and we have a stellar relationship. He is not ever aggressive with me, though he doesn’t interact well with males. He was always picking at Dad, haha. I grew up with a lot of different birds. However, I never learned all of the ins and outs involved in caring for him day to day. He is also overweight according to the last records that I have from his veterinarian. Dad spoiled all of us with food, so diet tips are quite welcomed. Pops was my best friend.

I’ve tried some Google searching and checked out a few posts on here and on Reddit. Bird folk are so cool! But I’m overwhelmed. I can’t focus. I am so so overwhelmed. I want to do right by my Dad and Max, and I want to make sure I’m not missing anything in regard to his care. I think it’d be a great help to have a one-stop shop for me to reference links to your favorite caique- care resources? Tidbits of advice? Anything and everything is so greatly appreciated.

Another concern that is immediately pressing to me is that I have to transport him from my dad’s house to my own, which is about a 3.5 to 4-hour drive. He already has a carrier that Pops bought him. But I’ve also seen him ride from place to place on my dad’s shoulder, loving life: Not sure which is safer, recommended, or more comfortable for Max.

Thank you all in advance,
Bird Britt

41DB686E-0EE2-431A-AF68-4D639EBAB16A.jpeg
5BA49171-B069-410E-8898-09910CE6EC2D.jpeg

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I’m so sorry for the loss of your dad :sorrow:

For travel I’d definitely suggest using the carrier as it’s much safer if something is to happen such as having to slam the brakes on etc.

@Irishj9 @saroj12 @Laurie might be able to give you some help regarding caiques (if I can think up some others with caiques I’ll definitely come back and tag them for you)

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
Not a ciaque owner but I do know that a good diet contains pellets and veggies with seeds as treats

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am very sorry for your loss :sadhug2:
I agree the carrier is a much safer idea,
  • never take Max outside without a harness or without being in a carrier, even clipped birds can fly away
  • If u have any nonstick cookware make sure it is ptfe and pfoa free or max could get sick, when in doubt throw it out
  • Make sure you have a nice spacious cage and toys there’s several vendors on here that sell excellent toys and u can see all of them here but other places like planet pleasures also have good toys as well as Amazon just be careful on what u order and make sure it’s safe List of Vendors and AA Store Profiles
  • No cleaners, sprays, candles
    :welcomegroup:

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry about your father, but glad you found this forum.
:sorrow:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Sorry for your loss,,,some experienced people have been tagged, hope your transition will be smooth.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Sorry for the loss of your Dad but Max will bring a part of him with him.

Definitely carrier to be safe. Everything else try to keep or transition it slowly to help Max inthe new home.

You can keep his diet to help him & if its not a great diet you can slowly change it.

Its good Max already knows you but a new home & missing your dad is stressful for everyone.

I imagine you are already acquainted with safety for birds but if not make sure to read up & bird proof the home.

Did anyone ever tell you you look like Angelina Jolie?

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Glad you and Max found each other

Use the carrier you have already, mainly because Max is used to it

Cover it in the car. Max can see in very high definition but not at 100kmh. He will get sick and vomit an the car if he's not covered

His diet should be fruit and veg. He will only eat sweet things if you let him, so you need to watch what he actually eats. He eats when the flock eats, and you are the flock. He will eat off your plate

I dont see his long blue flight feathers. This makes him a poor and clumsy flier, but hes still faster than you can run. So be careful

Talk to him a lot, hes lonely and he is missing papa as much as you, maybe more

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
Oh yes I nearly forgot

Hes not human, he must have 12 hours sleep at night. Darkness is his bedtime. Light regulates his hormones, and you dont wanna mess with those. Find a quiet dark place for him

and habits. Caiques LOOOOOOOOVE routine. Start your routines early so he knows what to expect

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
You're in the right place, and you'll be a stellar bird parent! I am so sorry that you lost your father.

Even if we don't all have Caique-specific experience, there's a lot of general bird and behavioral advice that can be applied. Please do stick around! No question is too small.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So sorry for your loss. My fiance inherited our first bird. It was definitely a crash course in bird for me. Bird basics- no telfon, candles, air freshners, etc. Beware of ceiling fans being on and people walking in and out of the house when he's out. Definitely transport in a carrier. Are you getting the cage that he's been living in? How big is it?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So sorry to hear about the loss of your dad

Max is clearly comfortable with you and this is the right place for help and advice i am new to keeping birds and this forum has been a wealth of advice and support ask as many questions as you need there will always be someone to help you out.

Max is lovely by the way

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am sorry for your loss.

BirdBritt

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Brittany Bozzell
So sorry for your loss. My fiance inherited our first bird. It was definitely a crash course in bird for me. Bird basics- no telfon, candles, air freshners, etc. Beware of ceiling fans being on and people walking in and out of the house when he's out. Definitely transport in a carrier. Are you getting the cage that he's been living in? How big is it?
Thank you so much. I took all of the toys and perches from his old cage, which was in pretty poor condition. Pops had a new cage in two boxes in the hallway, I guess he hadn’t gotten around to setting it up yet :(. It’s nice and huge! Same size as previous. Sturdy, and there’s a play-place on top like the previous cage. Max seemed to take to it immediately. I tried to remember the exact layout of toys he had back home, I’m sure it’s slightly different but at least it’s similar. He’s finally sleeping quietly in the cage right next to my bed as I browse through the forums. We had a long car ride here.

Last edited: