• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Inhaling Water While Bathing? O:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigwigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mia
So today, after giving Pig some new water, I noticed her sticking her beak + cere into the bowl and flicking the water over her back(normal bathing...), I thought this was adorable, and went to get her a bigger bowl to bathe in. After taking her out and watching her bathe, I realized she was inhaling water hen her little cere went under! :eek: I could hear a little raspy noise as she inhaled, coming from the water in her nose. I stopped the bath time immediately, and hopped right on here. I'm not sure what to do. Should I be worried? We're due for another checkup at the beginning of October, so a vet visit isn't out of the question. Her little cere is all pink round the nostrils... She's singing alright, she seems to be breathing alright... The other day I noticed she had a runny nose :( I feel terrible that I don't know what to do.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Keep an eye on her. I don't think she would aspirate herself, but what concerns me a tad is that fact that she had a runny nose BEFORE the bath. That is something I would keep watch for.

Ginger

Pigwigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mia
I noticed it a little while ago, so I've been watching her little nose closely for a while now. She's quiet, but singing, so that's good... When I noticed she had a runny nose, she sneezed about eight times in a row. Really weird. Gonna see if we can push up the vet date a little bit.

EDIT: Earlier today something was really scaring her... She basically had the equivalent of a night fright during the day... I had to hold her for 20 minutes to stop her from shaking.

The last vet visit was at he beginning of July.. there was nothing wrong with her then, she was the picture of health(if health was a tad overweight).

Last edited:

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
What you can do is hold her close to your ear and see if you can hear any sounds of weezing or labored breathing. Another tell tale sign is tail bobbing when she's breathing. This is a clear indication she is having problems and needs to get to the vet.

Ginger

Pigwigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mia
There's no tail bobbing, and I wasn't able to hear any wheezing, just shaking. She hasn't done much other than sit on her comfyperch and fluff up since I noticed her inhaling the water.

Also, she pooped on me a few minutes ago. It made an audible squirt sound, and was extremely watery. I wasn't able to examine it more because it fell somewhere I wasn't able to find.

Gonna change her papers so I can monitor poops.

Last edited:

Jeddy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Jan
Bodie will also put his beak and cere all the way in the water and then fling it everywhere. When he does this I can notice the sound they make trying to clear everything. But since there was a runny nose before this I would push up that vet date for sure.

Hope all goes ok.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
definitely push up the vet date...especially if you notice a runny nose...keep her warm in the meantime..

Pigwigeon

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Mia
I'm sure we will have no problem keeping her warm(It's currently 86º outside and 76º inside) XD Going to see how far we can push up her vet date <3 She's acting normal for now... Her poops are very watery, though(they were kind of watery before, but these poops have about 2x the liquid in them). She seems to be drinking more than usual.

Status
Not open for further replies.