• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Information about/against flooding?

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't worry, I'm most certainly not considering it! I wouldn't dream of it!

I just was wondering if anybody had a link to reasonable sources about the training technique called "flooding". I saw something recently and would like to send an informative link just detailing what it is and why it is NOT recommended. Google isn't bringing much results, just stuff about people's houses flooding!

Thanks!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
This seems to be okay: Flooding Therapy for Dogs is an old technique that must only be done properly, i

Ultimately, material about flooding in humans is not going to be relevant to animals. As a human, I can rationalise my fear and my hypothetical therapist can talk to me about my phobia, can talk me through what I will experience if I am in a room full of (let's say) giant spiders, can talk me through relaxation techniques and can reassure me that I won't come to harm. Ultimately, we can't do that with an animal, no matter how intelligent. We just don't have the means of that level of communication.

Ulis_Beast

Real Name
Doroteja Lenassi
This seems to be okay: Flooding Therapy for Dogs is an old technique that must only be done properly, i

Ultimately, material about flooding in humans is not going to be relevant to animals. As a human, I can rationalise my fear and my hypothetical therapist can talk to me about my phobia, can talk me through what I will experience if I am in a room full of (let's say) giant spiders, can talk me through relaxation techniques and can reassure me that I won't come to harm. Ultimately, we can't do that with an animal, no matter how intelligent. We just don't have the means of that level of communication.
This was very informative!
The "false flooding is sadly still videly used here.. people would violently yank on their dog's leashes to prevent them from barking etc. :(

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
I never heard of this but if flooding worked, my dog would have stopped barking every time the door bell rings. From what I understand flooding is setting off a trigger for unwanted behavior so they eventually see that their behaviour is not needed. But my dog barks at the door multiple times a day and has not come to the conclusion that no one is going to come hurt us. Lol.

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
From GoodBird Inc dictionary:
Parrot & Bird Training Terminology | Good Bird Training

Flooding:
A process of teaching an animal to cope with a situation it fears. The process is generally traumatic and relentless. The animal learns nothing it does will change the outcome and learns to submit or tolerate the situation. Not recommended!

Example of flooding:
Everyday a Quaker parrot is required to be moved from one location to another. The bird does not step up voluntarily. It is decided the bird must be moved and the bird is chased with a towel until the parrot is captured. This is repeated two times daily to move the bird inside and outside. Eventually the bird stops running away from the towel and freezes when it sees the towel. This allows the bird to be captured easily.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I never heard of this but if flooding worked, my dog would have stopped barking every time the door bell rings. From what I understand flooding is setting off a trigger for unwanted behavior so they eventually see that their behaviour is not needed. But my dog barks at the door multiple times a day and has not come to the conclusion that no one is going to come hurt us. Lol.
Not quite. Flooding is used with fear/phobic responses specifically."Unwanted behaviour" is a very broad category covering behaviours resulting from fear, stress, aggression and so on. Barking at the doorbell isn't a fear response - it's usually due to alertness, perhaps tipping into territorial behaviours. As such, ringing the doorbell multiple times isn't flooding your dog.

Again, yanking a dog's lead to stop them barking or pulling isn't flooding - it's punishment. Punishment is teaching a person or animal that a behaviour perceived as undesirable results in something bad happening. I'm saying "perceived as undesirable" because I don't think behaviours are inherently good or bad - it's all about our perception of them.

Here is a hypothetical example of flooding. Let's say that your dog is scared of people wearing cycling helmets. Flooding your dog would mean that everyone your dog interacts with wears a cycling helmet. The person who feeds her wears a cycling helmet. The person who exercises her wears a cycling helmet. The person who plays with her wears a cycling helmet. Where it differs from desensitization is that those people won't give her a choice about whether she approaches them or not - they will force her into cuddles and interaction. Eventually she'll stop running away from them because she realises that she can't do anything about it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Flooding:
A process of teaching an animal to cope with a situation it fears. The process is generally traumatic and relentless. The animal learns nothing it does will change the outcome and learns to submit or tolerate the situation. Not recommended!
Example of flooding:
Everyday a Quaker parrot is required to be moved from one location to another. The bird does not step up voluntarily. It is decided the bird must be moved and the bird is chased with a towel until the parrot is captured. This is repeated two times daily to move the bird inside and outside. Eventually the bird stops running away from the towel and freezes when it sees the towel. This allows the bird to be captured easily.

By; Barbara Heidenreich

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Here is a thread about flooding on AA from a couple of years ago.

annoellyn

Walking the driveway
Not quite. Flooding is used with fear/phobic responses specifically."Unwanted behaviour" is a very broad category covering behaviours resulting from fear, stress, aggression and so on. Barking at the doorbell isn't a fear response - it's usually due to alertness, perhaps tipping into territorial behaviours. As such, ringing the doorbell multiple times isn't flooding your dog.

Again, yanking a dog's lead to stop them barking or pulling isn't flooding - it's punishment. Punishment is teaching a person or animal that a behaviour perceived as undesirable results in something bad happening. I'm saying "perceived as undesirable" because I don't think behaviours are inherently good or bad - it's all about our perception of them.

Here is a hypothetical example of flooding. Let's say that your dog is scared of people wearing cycling helmets. Flooding your dog would mean that everyone your dog interacts with wears a cycling helmet. The person who feeds her wears a cycling helmet. The person who exercises her wears a cycling helmet. The person who plays with her wears a cycling helmet. Where it differs from desensitization is that those people won't give her a choice about whether she approaches them or not - they will force her into cuddles and interaction. Eventually she'll stop running away from them because she realises that she can't do anything about it.
Interesting! Thanks for the reply!