• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Info For To Long Of Beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

river-7

Moving in
Real Name
river-7
I am new here and would like some support with this problem. I purchased a black masked green pair of love-birds and the females beak is too long. I can't get a good pic of her because she hides behind the male-but i know the beak is to long.This pair was mistreated and kept in the basement and filthy when i got them. I believe it was a food problem that caused her beak to grow to long.They were fed on the bottom of cage and no dishes and walking in their mess and also eating in their mess. So they are in a large flight cage and i'm needing some support to drill or trim her beak. I have a little dremmel. But problem is i have no help to hold her and i don't feel confident enough to hold her and do it to. Any help would be appreciated-thanks to all who respond-river-7

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
An over grown beak can be a sign of liver problems. I would get them to a avian vet, somebody who has bird experience or who is board certified for a check over and blood work. This will be your baseline in case you ever need to have emergency medical treatment. Do you have a vet or can we help you find one?

Ginger

Last edited:

wonderb

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would take her to an avian vet. Beaks are actually quite sensitive and you could really hurt her by trying to do it yourself.

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Definitely take her in for a vet visit. Trimming beaks really isn't something that should be done at home, and the vet will be able to monitor her stress level more closely. If you tell us where you're located we can help you find a vet that would be able to help your little one

river-7

Moving in
Real Name
river-7
Yes, i live in mississauga and thanks to all but they have no vet as yet and they are breeder birds which makes it hard for a vet to look at them. I don't know of any vets in my area but i do believe a vet would be the best bet as well-thanks to all that responded.I have had them 3-days and they are just starting to settle in well-eating all veggies, and stuff i give them-I hope taking to a vet won't stress them out too much as being kept in a basement is not too nice and they are beginning to settle very nicely.river-7

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I take it that is Mississauga Ontario....west of Toronto..... if any of our members are in that area....can you give some help here on good vets?.....
I agree that can be a sign of liver issues....and I wouldn't take it down myself until a vet has seen her....even though it might be too long...there is still a blood vein that runs down the beak and it could be closer than you think....I also would see about giving them Milk thistle seeds in their foods for the time being....
It takes time to earn the trust and when you have a breeder pair...even more so....keep them backed by at least two walls if you can....this will help them relax....

lzver

Real Name
Laura
I was able to find the following for avian vets in Mississauga.

Dr. John Valsamis
Britannia Animal Hospital
3755 Britannia Road West
905-824-7387

Dr. Kevin Saldanha
Creditview Animal Hospital
5330 Creditview Rd
905-567-8387
Www.567vets.com

Mississauga / Oakville Veterinary Emergency Hospital
Open 7pm to 8am Monday to Friday
Open 24 hours on weekends and holidays
905-829-9444

Lauren

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lauren
If you're willing to drive to Barrie, check out Ferris Lane Animal Hospital. The avian veterinarian there, Dr. Deroo is FANTASTIC.

133 Ferris Ln Barrie, ON L4M 2Y1
(705) 726-2322

She breeds lovebirds and conures so she is well versed with both!

In the mean time, you can get them a pedi-perch from Petsmart. I have one for my two lovies and every time they are in for a checkup my vet ALWAYS comments on how well trimmed their beaks and toenails are. Same with Seth (conure) his beak was slightly overgrown and so were his toes, as soon as I put the pedi-perch in his cage, two weeks and he looked so well manicured :)

Not sure why the above ^^^ is showing in a box?!

river-7

Moving in
Real Name
river-7
Lauren; I have the pedi paw perch in all my birds cages -that is one of the first things i put in.These vets are close by me so i will call around tomorrow and see where sounds best-thanks so much to all that helped find some vets for my babies. Question; Won't it up set breeders when you take them to a vet? thanks river-7 Billie; I do have them backed by 2-walls and i cover them at night. And what does that Milk Thistle do for them-i think i have some here but maybe a diff; type but will go tomorrow and get them some. thanks again and anymore suggestions would be well recieved.-river-7

Last edited:

Milo

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
It will cause them stress to go to the vet, but the vet will also be able to gauge their stress level and treat them accordingly. That's why it's so important to have someone who is experienced with birds and knows their body language

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
The positive aspects of the vet visit outweigh the negative aspects in this case. If the birds have major organ damage you need to know it now and begin treating it to extend their life and keep them as healthy as possible. Also, getting the beak trimmed will help her eat better and move around better.

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Lauren; I have the pedi paw perch in all my birds cages -that is one of the first things i put in.These vets are close by me so i will call around tomorrow and see where sounds best-thanks so much to all that helped find some vets for my babies. Question; Won't it up set breeders when you take them to a vet? thanks river-7 Billie; I do have them backed by 2-walls and i cover them at night. And what does that Milk Thistle do for them-i think i have some here but maybe a diff; type but will go tomorrow and get them some. thanks again and anymore suggestions would be well recieved.-river-7
Milk Thistle will help with liver issues:
WellVet.Com
Winged Wisdom Pet Bird Magazine - Kitchen Physician V - Herbal Remedies For Parrots and Pet Birds

river-7

Moving in
Real Name
river-7
just an update this morning-she is using her pedi-paw perch as i see the marks on her beak this morning-so she doe's know what to do with it-very smart little girl-i will be phoning around when vets open this am. Thanks again to all that helped-i just wanted to update on her using her pedi perch.river-7:lol: Just to add re; milk thistle-i use herb salad for all my birds that is all natural and not just for sick birds but for all birds sort of a prevention if you will-most of you would know about this as well-thanks.

Last edited:

river-7

Moving in
Real Name
river-7
Another update on too long of beak. The vet came in and done her beak and she was as good as gold not a peep out of her and her tests were all negative, so good report all the way around. Just wanted to update you all that helped me. thanks river-7

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Thanks so much for updating us. We do worry about the birds on 911 so we appreciate when we hear how they are doing. I'm so glad she's doing well and had a good vet visit. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.