• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Infertile Eggs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sharpie

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I think that an infertile egg here and there is perfectly normal. If it becomes a chronic issue though, then there is something health-wise going on and you have to look at diet, environment, lighting, and everything else.

Abby

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Mary
I've had a few issues with infertile eggs in the past. i have a pair of GCCs that produced 5 gorgeous babes the first year I had them, the past couple fo years there's been duds. The pair next to them on the same diet have for 2 years in a row produced 5 healthy babes each time. Sometimes it just happens.

A friend of mine has Goldens. He's had them for several years and is still struggling to get conditions perfect to get fertile eggs. This is a guy who has no issues with his large macaws (in a different area to his goldens) pois or other birds. One of his grey pairs who have been reliable just aren't going down lately. He's been involved in breeding for 40 odd years.

A number of breeders here are finding that weather conditions are stuffing around teh natural breeding cycle too. When it was dry as and 110F a week ago now it's pouring down with rain and 59F you gotta wonder what this is doing to the birds.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Is this breeder located in Harford county? If not there is one who breeds goldens there. I have known some breeders that actually trim the feathers slightly way fromboth birds cloacas to allow a better flow of...you know!

MorningGloria

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Celeste
Is this breeder located in Harford county? If not there is one who breeds goldens there. I have known some breeders that actually trim the feathers slightly way fromboth birds cloacas to allow a better flow of...you know!
Yes. That is them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.