• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Inexpensive but safe outdoor aviary?

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hello all,

I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas about how to put together a relatively inexpensive (>$500) outdoor aviary for my eclectus and pionus. The reason I'd like it to be inexpensive is largely because it would be at a rental property where I'm doubting it would move with us; for that reason, it would not need to durable, since we'd only use it for two years. Right now the birds hang out outside in a moderate sized cage that was the cage our ekkie came home with (we got him a larger and nicer cage for his main use indoors). Since we're gonna move to spot with an enormous yard, I'd love for the birds to be able to enjoy some of that space, but I don't want to pour a bunch of money in something we'll only have for a couple years.

Any ideas?

NightOwls

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Maybe a dog run with chicken wire over it?

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
Hello all,

I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas about how to put together a relatively inexpensive (>$500) outdoor aviary for my eclectus and pionus. The reason I'd like it to be inexpensive is largely because it would be at a rental property where I'm doubting it would move with us; for that reason, it would not need to durable, since we'd only use it for two years. Right now the birds hang out outside in a moderate sized cage that was the cage our ekkie came home with (we got him a larger and nicer cage for his main use indoors). Since we're gonna move to spot with an enormous yard, I'd love for the birds to be able to enjoy some of that space, but I don't want to pour a bunch of money in something we'll only have for a couple years.

Any ideas?
celltei products are well-made and she will customize. great reviews for it!
BIRDS & PARROTS - Portable Travel Aviary - Celltei

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Matthew
I modified a Producer's Pride Defender Chicken coop. All told, it was around a grand. It has sat outside for years and has held up well.

Nostromo

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
I modified a Producer's Pride Defender Chicken coop. All told, it was around a grand. It has sat outside for years and has held up well.
I've thought about doing something like that. How did you modify it?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Matthew
I've thought about doing something like that. How did you modify it?
There is a large gap for the chickens to access the nesting area, which sits outside the coop. I sold the nesting area and the ladder on FB Marketplace. I bought 2 extra side panels (they only sell them in pairs here) and replaced the panel with an opening with a "solid" panel.

Free bird

Strolling the yard
Hello all,

Any ideas?
Hi. I would recommend looking for used cages in your area online. One of my cages cost me only $50 and is worth about $750 brand new.

achill638

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Amanda
There is a large gap for the chickens to access the nesting area, which sits outside the coop. I sold the nesting area and the ladder on FB Marketplace. I bought 2 extra side panels (they only sell them in pairs here) and replaced the panel with an opening with a "solid" panel.
I’d love to see pictures! It seems that is the only producers pride model that isn’t gapped between the panels or the door.

LiveLolBrd

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Alana
I’d love to see pictures! It seems that is the only producers pride model that isn’t gapped between the panels or the door.
I am sorry to tell you this but the person who wrote that to you died recently