• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Indian Ringneck was in a room for about an hour with paint fumes and he’s acting not right

JaeBae

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jaehee
My mother put away Sprouty Boy in my freshly painted room while I was out. I am very worried about him considering he is acting tired and feels lightweight. What can I do? Is he doing to be okay? I still cannot go out due to quarantine but I’m so worried for my boy

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Can you at least take him outside, so he can get fresh air without all of the contaminants in a house? The preferred treatment for toxic exposure is oxygen treatment. If you have access to oxygen you can fix up an O2 box to put him in and route the oxygen into it. If not the vet is the best bet.

Do you have scales to weigh him and keep track of his weight.

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Hank in absolutely right. At least put him in a travel carrier and bring him outside if the temp allows-
Any other symptoms? (fullfed, wings drooped, wheezing?).

The thing with birds is they have lungs- but also a multitude of air sacs (unlike humans). These air sacs take two repetitions to fill/empty. So chemicals in the air stay in the body of a bird longer, and dont have the same filtration as say- humans. Think of it like a direct pathway to absorption.

Its imperative that the bird get fresh air, and no other toxins (consumed or inhaled). I would recommend a vet (oxygen chamber).

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Fresh air outside! Is there another place in the house you can put him for 3 or 4 days, while you air out the painted room,, open the windows in that painted room and blow fans to get the smell out, watch him closely, if in doubt,,call your vet,,hope hes ok!

enigma731

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wait, you were able to go out somewhere else but you can't go to the vet? Is there no way to get vet care at all? I know you said you were working on that in your other thread about him.