• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Indian Ringneck really doesn't care about me

antarctica

Moving in
Hey! A lot has happened since I last posted almost 2 years ago now. 2 more birds have joined my flock! Another cockatiel, Jasper, and a beautiful albino indian ringneck, Magnolia. I call her mags.

Mags was adopted January 19 of this year. Her hatch date was 3/4/19 so I got her about 1O months old. I got her from a breeder and she was returned by her original family so I am her second home.

I love mags to death, but she doesn't really care about me at all... :lol: Of course I understand that some birds can be independent, and I'm not exactly guaranteed a loving, cuddly, playful bird... but it just really feels like foreign territory to me! She's SUPER independent. and she's not scared, she willingly approaches. she was trained to step up from the beginning and will stomp over to me and step up if she wants to go somewhere. It's funny. She's like a little human. But ultimately I feel like that's the extent of her wanting anything to do with me.

She doesn't want to spend time with me or on me. If I put her on my shoulder she wants to go ANYWHERE else! Either her cage, the other birds cage, or the few perches I have around the room. And I can tell she's playful, she plays with toys and is constantly throwing stuff from the top of her cage, she just doesn't want me to interrupt at all.

I'm just wondering if there is really anything I can do or if that's just how she is. I'm used to cuddly conures and cockatiels who want to spend every second with you. Mags and her mannerisms are weird weird weird to me!

Also I suppose I should add, I really dont think she is aggressive, but she has aggressive mannerisms. It's like she's sparring. Quite often she will strike and lunge at hands in an aggressive way, but she either boops her beak on your hand just when you think she's about to bite you, or she just nibbles the hand super gently. I have never been bitten by her and she has never bitten anyone else. ?????

Is this common IRN behavior? Is she just independent, does she just not like me? She does all of the same things I described with my boyfriend, but she LOVES him. she coos at him. she flies to him. it drives me nuts!:laughing2: But after she's had her 5 minutes of man time she really goes back to being independent.

Attachments

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sounds like most people’s dream bird lol.

Sorry, I can’t help but she really does sound absolutely adorable and full of confidence:)

antarctica

Moving in
Sounds like most people’s dream bird lol.

Sorry, I can’t help but she really does sound absolutely adorable and full of confidence:)
Oh absolutely. Honestly it is nice sometimes having a super self-occupied bird, she's a lot of fun to watch and stupid adorable. Since she's usually self occupied she also doesn't have much time to scream which is good. I think I would have an easier time accepting her independence if only I was the favorite! I'm not used to being ignored by birds for the most part :laughing2: Though I suppose since this is his first time being the favorite I should let my boyfriend have his little girl, even if I cant help being a bit jealous.

Angela_2

Walking the driveway
Hi!
I have an IRN and he loves staying by himself sometimes lol
I don't think Tweety is as independent as Mags but as long as they're fine happy and healthy it's good :D
Also maybe she needs time or it's only her personality
She's absolutely beautiful btw