• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Indian ringneck moulting

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
My Indian ringneck is currently moulting and has dropped 4-6 primary flight feathers, 3-4 secondary flight feathers a few wing feathers and a few small feathers. I understand that moulting effects behaviour what would a bird act like when moulting as is there anything in particular they need. I understand they require more protein so I have been providing him with this. Also what is excessive drinking I notice my bird drinks from there two times or so but that's when I'm in the room. Other than egg white what other sources of protein are there can i feed my bird mealworms.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

Mantis64

Also I understand that when the feathers grow back they can break and cause bleeding so I going to get cornstarch how common do blood feathers get damaged. And my bird is tame but doesn't step up and like being touched anywhere on his body so if it was to rupture how would i get the cornstarch on the feather.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Birds usually get a little grouchy, or short while moulting. offer bathing opportunities regularly to help soothe the itchy pins.

how common do blood feathers get damaged.
If your bird has night frights, or plays rough then there is a larger chance, but it´s not something that happens a lot to most birds.

my bird is tame but doesn't step up and like being touched anywhere on his body so if it was to rupture how would i get the cornstarch on the feather.
You would have to towel your bird and apply the cornstarch.

Here is a link to the thread with all the videos posted so you can watch them all;

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have a question, What is your birds name?

Mantis64

I couldn't think of a good name at first I was planning on naming him blue cause he is blue but I liked Cosmo more.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cute name :)

Mantis64

Hi you know if I had to towel my bird would that break our trust.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Hi you know if I had to towel my bird would that break our trust.
Maybe but if it is an emergency then your birds safety, health and possibly life is more important.