• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Indian ringneck mix

Mantis64

Rollerblading along the road
Hi guys at this current time I am feeding my Indian ringneck a low sunflower seed parrot mix. Is this an okay mix for an Indian ringneck or should I feed him something.

Attachments

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Indian ringnecks do consume some seed. But in the wild they consume more fresh fruit, flowers, veggies, etc. The main diet should be fresh food- you can augment with pellets (there are many brands) and keep seeds at a minimum, that mix in particular the main ingredient is corn (also not ideal).

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I can not help but wonder what the groundnuts listed in this are..... peanuts maybe? Fresh foods are a must for all of our feathered friends.

Mantis64

I can not help but wonder what the groundnuts listed in this are..... peanuts maybe? Fresh foods are a must for all of our feathered friends.
Yeah I get rid of the peanuts because of the risk of aspergillosis and I give him fresh food on a Daily basic including broccoli, carrots, apples,blueberries and loths more I give less fruit because if the sugar intake.

Mantis64

It's just harder to get since the uk is in lockdown

Mantis64

In the wild, they eat oodles of fruit. Dont be afraid of it.
Hi sorry I keep asking questions what are the best types of fruit and veg for Indian ringneck like what types of fruit and veg they eat in the wild
Thanks again sorry I keep asking questions.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
@Mantis64

This is only from the short stint in India- but there are popular fruits (that farmer complained ringencks would ruin in a day!). But what you can get in UK readily:
Oranges
Bannana
Guava
Mango
Berries of all sorts!

In the wild- these are 'western' relatives of these things that are extremely popular. In the middle east, the wild ringneck populations destroy dates and figs- it was a hoot to watch a flock of 20 land, destroy the cluster, and then take off. ha.

Do check the frozen section of your market: contrary to popular belief, frozen fruit maintains its nutritional value (macro and micro). You will find bags of precut fruit (just defrost before serving).

Ask away- that's what this site is for :)

Mantis64

@Mantis64

This is only from the short stint in India- but there are popular fruits (that farmer complained ringencks would ruin in a day!). But what you can get in UK readily:
Oranges
Bannana
Guava
Mango
Berries of all sorts!

In the wild- these are 'western' relatives of these things that are extremely popular. In the middle east, the wild ringneck populations destroy dates and figs- it was a hoot to watch a flock of 20 land, destroy the cluster, and then take off. ha.

Do check the frozen section of your market: contrary to popular belief, frozen fruit maintains its nutritional value (macro and micro). You will find bags of precut fruit (just defrost before serving).

Ask away- that's what this site is for :)
Can they eat oranges I was told that parrots shouldn't eat things like oranges and tomatoes because of the high acid content and that this can cause ulcers. Is this true or not I am new to owning birds so dont have much knowledge. Thanks for giving me information though I'm so grateful and appreciate your advice it really helps me to provide a better diet for my ringneck.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I dont know where that started.... Maybe a bulk seed company ? :cautious:
Not true- citrus- which yes it acidic is perfectly fine. Look at any birds wild diet- They consume oodles of citrus-
But that doesnt mean throwing him an orange with seeds and calling it a day ;) Everything in balance and moderation as foraging should be fun!

But in India the ringnecks will go through orchards in flocks of 40+ and devastate farmers (which is why they consider them a pest). Like the Java finch (Rice finch) where they actually put out poisoned rice to cut down on the population for the sake of their crops.

Mantis64

I dont know where that started.... Maybe a bulk seed company ? :cautious:
Not true- citrus- which yes it acidic is perfectly fine. Look at any birds wild diet- They consume oodles of citrus-
But that doesnt mean throwing him an orange with seeds and calling it a day ;) Everything in balance and moderation as foraging should be fun!

But in India the ringnecks will go through orchards in flocks of 40+ and devastate farmers (which is why they consider them a pest). Like the Java finch (Rice finch) where they actually put out poisoned rice to cut down on the population for the sake of their crops.
Hi I bough him a foraging wheel but dont know what to put in there. I put in blueberries before but they would roll to the back he he wouldn't be able to reach them

Pyropus

Walking the driveway
I would check out about the fruit, you can feed too much, remember the birds we keep seldom gets as much excersise as the wild birds does, and too much fruit and sugar can therefor be bad.

Some species should have more fruits then others, and berries, but you should check it out for your specific species, and take into account that again they seldom fly as much so they dont need the exact same diet as in the wild.

But they definantly should have more greens and not just pellets (which is better then seeds). However fruit, berries and vegetables are three different things.

Try to look up some articles on it, also I found birdtricks to have quite informative videos, that so far adds up with what I read.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I think foraging wheel work best with dried items.... I could be wrong- never used one.

Foraging can be just about anything!
You can make your own aparatis from just about anything that is bird safe!

Reactions: tka

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
To me- ground nuts mean peanut butter, lol

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
To me- ground nuts mean peanut butter, lol
I’m reading it as nuts grown in the ground as opposed to ground up nuts but I guess it makes no difference really, if they’re peanuts...... they’re not good.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I’m reading it as nuts grown in the ground as opposed to ground up nuts but I guess it makes no difference really, if they’re peanuts...... they’re not good.
Sorry it was a joke. I have dry humor.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Sorry it was a joke. I have dry humor.
I did kinda giggle to start with then came back to respond because I thought, hmmm- what if I misinterpreted. Now I just feel like a dork :roflmao:

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I did kinda giggle to start with then came back to respond because I thought, hmmm- what if I misinterpreted. Now I just feel like a dork :roflmao:
I felt like a dork for making a such a blunt sarcastic statement- so at least we can share the feeling :facepalm: