• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Indian Ringneck Color Mutations

What color is your IRN?

• Green

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Emerald

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Turquiose

• Dark green

• Pied green

• Blue

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Blue pied

• Pallid

• Opaline

• Edged

• Fallow

• Ino

• Creamino

• ClearHead Cleartail

• Albino

• Other

• Total voters

S.Fanska

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Stephanie Fanska
If anyone is interested in discussing color mutations, and their names? PPPLEASE talk to me...
I'm getting conflicting names, old vs new-
Such as Harlingen is actually pied???
I wish I knew of a book-

S.Fanska

Real Name
Stephanie Fanska
Thank you much for the photo references! Those are fantastic

What are the genes involved in a visual Emerald? Is a blue or green? Double fact turquoise? Something completely different?

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
I've no idea, I like silver sage site so I use it for the article on IRN a lot. Pretty birdie in your photo

S.Fanska

Real Name
Stephanie Fanska
I've no idea, I like silver sage site so I use it for the article on IRN a lot. Pretty birdie in your photo

I didn't really see on like this girl on the website...
It was pretty good reference for the others though!

Anfsurfer

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I didn't really see on like this girl on the website...
It was pretty good reference for the others though!
I honestly don't think "Emerald" is a mutation in itself. The mutation is Turquoise (Parblue).
The Parblue mutation limits the amount of Psitticin produced in the bird. Psitticin is the substance that provides the yellow color in the bird.

An IRN with normal psitticin production will be GREEN

An IRN with zero psitticin production will be BLUE (Green minus Yellow equals Blue)

An IRN with partial psitticin production will be TURQUOISE (Since the amount of psitticin production will vary bird to bird, some Turquoise will have more and some will have less. If the IRN has more they refer to it as an Emerald Turquoise as the color is closer to Green. If the IRN has less and the outcome color has more of a Greenish-Blue appearance they refer to it as a Turquoise Blue. Not really mutations, just further classifying the mutation for breeding, showing or whatnot)

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
You can try this website: Psittacula Mutations .

As for books, there are two good choices that I am aware of: The Indian Ringneck Breeders Handbook by Phil Robson and Asiatic Parrots and Their Mutations by Bastiaan and Bastiaan. Just know that the second book is very, very expensive.

S.Fanska

Real Name
Stephanie Fanska
I honestly don't think "Emerald" is a mutation in itself. The mutation is Turquoise (Parblue).
The Parblue mutation limits the amount of Psitticin produced in the bird. Psitticin is the substance that provides the yellow color in the bird.

An IRN with normal psitticin production will be GREEN

An IRN with zero psitticin production will be BLUE (Green minus Yellow equals Blue)

An IRN with partial psitticin production will be TURQUOISE (Since the amount of psitticin production will vary bird to bird, some Turquoise will have more and some will have less. If the IRN has more they refer to it as an Emerald Turquoise as the color is closer to Green. If the IRN has less and the outcome color has more of a Greenish-Blue appearance they refer to it as a Turquoise Blue. Not really mutations, just further classifying the mutation for breeding, showing or whatnot)
Curious! Turquoise is a little different and I'm still struggling to understand it. I get Turquoise blue and Turquoise green- Does Turquoise have a single and double factor?

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Curious! Turquoise is a little different and I'm still struggling to understand it. I get Turquoise blue and Turquoise green- Does Turquoise have a single and double factor?
TURQUOISE is a RECESSIVE color mutation, as is BLUE. Both Parents have to carry the mutation to produce a Turquoise baby. The mutation is either VISUAL or SPLIT in a bird, it's not inherited by "Factors" carried by the parent. The mutations that inherit by "Factors" are the Autosomal Dominant mutations.

JavaRN

Moving in
TURQUOISE is a RECESSIVE color mutation, as is BLUE. Both Parents have to carry the mutation to produce a Turquoise baby. The mutation is either VISUAL or SPLIT in a bird, it's not inherited by "Factors" carried by the parent. The mutations that inherit by "Factors" are the Autosomal Dominant mutations.

Wait - Isn't turquoise in IRNs co-dominant?

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Wait - Isn't turquoise in IRNs co-dominant?
Sorry for not getting back to you sooner! I'm not on here very often anymore.
Turquoise is Co-Dominant with Blue only.
If you paired a GREEN IRN and a TURQUOISE IRN, you would get all GREEN SPLIT TO TURQUOISE
If you paired a BLUE IRN to a TURQUOISE IRN, you would get 50% BLUE IRNS and 50% TURQUOISE

MMT

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Mian Muhammad Tanveer
I am new in this field having a little bit knowledge. I have a INR blue male and Cinnamon female. What will be color of babies...

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
I am new in this field having a little bit knowledge. I have a INR blue male and Cinnamon female. What will be color of babies...
What's the color of the female, Cinnamon is not a color mutation.

Anfsurfer

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tim
Yellow is the result of a mutation on a Green bird. Green is Dominant. Unless the Yellow bird is split to Blue, all babies will be Green birds. All babies will be split to Blue and the boy babies will be split to Cinnamon as well. This is all I can tel you without knowing more about you birds or seeing pics of them.