• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Indian Ringneck Attacked by Dog- Sad Update Post #14

Miguel.w

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Miguel W.
Yoshi, my Indian Ringneck was attacked by our dog, a german shepherd/husky mix. Don't know how it happened since I was in the front yard. Went to the backyard and Yoshi was limping and covered in dirt. Brought her in to wash her up, and say that she had a puncture bite, close to her left wing, under it when it is folded. She wasn't bleeding much from what I could see, but I applied Hydrogen Peroxide to clean it. I've since left her alone in an appropriately sized shoebox with food and water. She has had some water, though not much and I haven't seen her eat. Her droppings are yellowish and have no brown or white in them. When she breathes, she makes a weird clicking sound. She is also laying more than standing. The worst part? I have no way of taking her to a vet. I am beyond devastated and feel guilty for what has happened to her. This happened last night. Thank god she survived. I need help on what to do, if there is anything to do. Thank You.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm very sorry this happened. I know you said you can't take her to a vet, but I think she really needs to see a vet. If you tell us where you're located we might be able to suggest a vet to you. If it's finances, have you looked into Credit Care? If it's travel, some vets make house calls. I hope your bird will be okay.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yoshi really, really needs a vet. The clicking in her breathing indicates some kind of respiratory issue. The puncture wound is almost certain to become infected.

Sunnysmom gave you some very good advice.

Miguel.w

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Miguel W.
Most qualified vets that are nearest of me are about an hour drive. My parents and I are about to go on vacation within the next two days, so there is sadly not much money to spend. My dad having birds before, said there is no need, and he gets angry when I ask them to take her to a vet because it's an emergency.

Last edited:

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Most qualified vets that are nearest of me are about an hour drive. My parents and I are about to go on vacation within the next two days, so there is sadly not much money to spend. My dad having birds before, said there is no need, and he gets angry when I ask them to take her to a vet because it's an emergency.

If you are going on vacation, who is taking care of Yoshi? Are you boarding her somewhere?

You need to do the right thing for Yoshi, look into local rescues and see if any can help you. Some may be open to helping you with vetting without surrender with some agreement reached about how to deal with the cost, possibly volunteer time... but, you definitely need to find a way to get Yoshi to a vet. The clicking sound may be a puncture, she may have internal bleeding, there are so many maybes. Vet care is definitely, even if means doing right by Yoshi and letting a local rescue take her to save her life.

Is your mother involved? Can you ask other family members for help or support... grandparents? aunts or uncles?

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Im so sorry this happened ..if you cant and I mean really cant get into a vet there are some things you can do ...do you have betadine or can you get some from a drug store ..you will need this to clean the wound several times a day ..also you can use polysporin cream to put on the wound after you clean it ...do not use peroxide ...your bird should be on antibiotics and there is a possibility that the breathing issue is due to the bite which needs to be seen by a vet ...but if you just cant try the cleaning method ....If you are leaving for vacation in two days who is looking after your pets because they will have to clean your birds wound several times a day until you get back ...wounds like these can take weeks to close on their own with you cleaning several times a day ....please try to get your lil one into a vet this bite could be life threatening ..best of luck :hug8:

Miguel.w

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Miguel W.
My aunt, who is inexperienced with birds was supposed to take care of her. Now that this has happened, I will see if I can board her to a well-known bird farm near me. I also considered taking her on vacation with me. Bad part is that its almost an hour drive, and its in Nevada -intense heat- so I don't think I will take her. Thank you all for the helpful responses

Edit- I tried calling the bird farm I mentioned. Sadly, they're closed today....will re-open tomorrow :/

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope you find a solution. Are there any rescues near you that could maybe help. Please keep us posted.

Jenphilly

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
My aunt, who is inexperienced with birds was supposed to take care of her. Now that this has happened, I will see if I can board her to a well-known bird farm near me. I also considered taking her on vacation with me. Bad part is that its almost an hour drive, and its in Nevada -intense heat- so I don't think I will take her. Thank you all for the helpful responses

Edit- I tried calling the bird farm I mentioned. Sadly, they're closed today....will re-open tomorrow :/

Call the bird farm and let them know what has happened, they will want vetting done for the bird as well. I doubt any place is going to board a bird with an injury that has not seen a vet. But they may be able to help with getting the bird seen by a vet, so win win. But call them today, you don't want to take a wait and see approach with what Yoshi is dealing with, not to sound dramatic, but truly waiting an hour, definitely a day could mean life or death for Yoshi. Remember you are not only dealing with injuries you can see, but any internal damage and then infection from the dog saliva bite itself...

Miguel.w

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Miguel W.
I'm in Moreno Valley, California. I called my nearest parrot rescue. Unfortunately, they only board birds that have been adopted from that facility.

Miguel.w

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Miguel W.
I'm very devastated to say that my Yoshi has gone to heaven. God called her, and this was the best for her, so in that perspective, I am in peace. I will never forget her cheerful but bossy spirit. I know that she will still be with me, on my shoulder as she always loved, biting the buttons off my shirts. This was the best for her, and I am sure she is happy. Thank you all for the kind answers. God bless you all.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
i am very sorry for your loss :sadhug2:

Odin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Chantal
sorry for your loss

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I'm so sorry for your loss :sadhug2:

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
So sorry for your loss :sorrow: