• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Indian ring neck biting and jealously

angel.mcca

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Angel McCarty
I have a indian Ringneck that I have had since March 2020. He is definitely my bird, but he has really been biting and has been so unpredictable here lately. I also have a cockatiel and got him around the same time. Anytime I talk to or pick up the cockatiel he goes crazy flying and screaming towards me like I'm hurting the cockatiel. He is now doing from what I have read mating behaviors towards the cockatiel, and he is a male as well. Also my IRN is randomly biting. He will be fine one minute and then out of the blue he will bite. Just need some help in handling these behaviors.

MC_Hahn's

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Marie C.
:welcome2:
Welcome to the Avenue!
Do you know the age of your IRN? What was his previous living situation?
You may want to work on redirecting your bird's aggression through positive reinforcement, such as training or ignoring bad behaviors and rewarding the ones that you want. I would recommend the book The Parrot Problem Solver by Barbara Heidenreich if you haven't read it already, as it addresses many of the problems that you are mentioning and is overall an excellent read for any parrot owner.
Usually, parrots do not bite randomly. Try to record your interactions with your bird every time that he bites. What were you doing at the time? Were other environmental factors influencing his behavior? What was your cockatiel doing before or at the time of the biting/attacking?
Most Indian Ringnecks give plenty of signs before they bite or attack, such as eye pinning, spreading their wings or tail, vocalizing, and/or raising their feathers. Of course, these can happen only a few more moments before the "attacking" occurs and so can be difficult to predict.
If your bird is unable to be handled, consider using a t-stand or a perch instead of your hand.
Here are a few more resources:

Training is probably a good place to start for your particular situation though.

Best of luck to you and your feathered friend! :)