• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Independent Bird Species?

25432tiss

Checking out the neighborhood
Hey there! Not entirely sure where this would go, but hopefully I can get some guidance. :) I've been very interested in the pionus species (specifically the dusky pionus and white capped) as I've heard they're the type of bird that can just hang out with you, y'know more independent while still wanting to be with you...I've also heard they're more quiet and calm (of course this is a generalization and I'm sure not every pionus is like that). However, they're very very hard to find, so I was wondering if anyone knows of a species similar in tempermant and attitude as them that's more readily available?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Welcome! Different species are more/less common depending on where you live. Which country do you live in?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Poicephalus seem to be a bit more independent. I had a very independent green cheek conure but that's not necessarily typical. Best would be to find an adult being rehomed if you can - then they can give you an idea of their personality!

25432tiss

Welcome! Different species are more/less common depending on where you live. Which country do you live in?
I live in the US!

Poicephalus seem to be a bit more independent. I had a very independent green cheek conure but that's not necessarily typical. Best would be to find an adult being rehomed if you can - then they can give you an idea of their personality!
I was thinking of Poicephalus but they're kind of in the same boat as pionus, just to a lesser extent- meaning hard to find lol...but there are a couple of really good rescues near where I live so I'll try and keep an eye on those for any birds that catch my fancy and have a personality that fits me :)

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
If you are looking for a bird that is quiet, calm, undemanding, and readily available, you might want to look into ring-neck doves.

They are an often over-looked bird species, in my opinion.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
:welcome2:

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agree with Pois generally being independent. Temperament varies. Mine range in personality from super sweet and friendly to a bit on the shy side. Some of mine can be nippy.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am not sure what state that you live in, however some states have large pet stores that only sell birds. Many times the owners of these stores have built up relationships with breeders of a large variety of species, some of which are uncommon. You could try calling a store and see if they can help you find the species that you are looking for.

25432tiss

If you are looking for a bird that is quiet, calm, undemanding, and readily available, you might want to look into ring-neck doves.

They are an often over-looked bird species, in my opinion.
I actually really like doves, and pigeons! I've met a few and they're very friendly birds, I've really been considering pigeons specifically as there is a very good breeder near me- I think if i can't figure out a good parrot for me I'll probably end up going with a pigeon or dove! :D

Thank you :)

Agree with Pois generally being independent. Temperament varies. Mine range in personality from super sweet and friendly to a bit on the shy side. Some of mine can be nippy.
I do really like poicephalus, they're just hard to find reliably- same as pionus :( although I think if I ever do find one available before I can find a pionus I would definitely snatch it up in a heartbeat!

I am not sure what state that you live in, however some states have large pet stores that only sell birds. Many times the owners of these stores have built up relationships with breeders of a large variety of species, some of which are uncommon. You could try calling a store and see if they can help you find the species that you are looking for.
I don't know of any bird-specific stores in my area (north florida), however we used to have fairly frequent bird expos...I haven't seen any recently due to covid but I think if one pops up again I'll need to check it out. And maybe there is a bird store somewhere near me that I just haven't found yet lol, I'll need to do a bit of research but hopefully I can find something. Thank you!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It may be too far from you, but have you checked with Golden Cockatoo ? They have been around for decades and have a good reputation.