• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Independence Out of Cage

lisazartsi

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lisa
Hi friends! :)

This is my first week with my baby Pineapple GCC and she's a total angel. She plays super well on her own in her cage, eats and drinks comfortably and already knows how to step up and down (we practice for short increments every day).

I'd like for her to learn how to play on her playstand while she's out of her cage, but whenever I place her on there and attempt to get her interested in the toys on there, she just flies into my lap. She's only 13 weeks so I know she'd prefer to be cuddling with me rather than just being on her own, but I want to be able to hang out with her while she entertains herself out of the cage. Any suggestions on how to start teaching her these habits??

Thank you! :D

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Just make the outside more interesting for her. Add tree perches and play stands with lots of toys. If you make the room more fun then she'll probably be more comfortable sitting without you.

Khizz

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Also maybe you can feed her on her play stand? Perhaps seed/pellets in her cage and veggies on the play stand (or vice versa). Also some foraging for her favourite treats on there, or placing toys from her cage onto the playstand?

Hope some of these ideas help!

Maggiebird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Sally
I would try capturing. This is where whenever you see her doing something you want her to do like in this case playing on her own reward her. Just a suggestion I don’t really know what you can and can’t do with new birds/ baby birds.