• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Incredibly Aggressive Conure. Help? (Sad update post # 102)

sootling

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ollie (he/they)
Your amazing

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Wow, I didn’t know making season affected birds that aren’t breeding/are just pets! Learn something new every day! I’ll try to get her to do that. She’s usually out of the house at 7 or so, so I’ll probably sneak in and help limit the light.
I should correct that Sassy is not in fact a hybrid, he’s full green cheek apparently. He was sold as a black cap and then began exhibiting green cheek behaviors, and when DNA tested came back as a green cheek. I was under the impression he was a hybrid, but my sister told me the full story.
My sister won’t get shredding toys because he makes a mess out of them - like that isn’t what he’s supposed to do with them ):
Im gonna probably discreetly buy the toys and then put them on my sisters desk as a present.
To answer your question, yes, you're absolutely right that they're supposed to make a mess out of them.

peachypjm

Strolling the yard
Wow, I didn’t know making season affected birds that aren’t breeding/are just pets! Learn something new every day! I’ll try to get her to do that. She’s usually out of the house at 7 or so, so I’ll probably sneak in and help limit the light.
I should correct that Sassy is not in fact a hybrid, he’s full green cheek apparently. He was sold as a black cap and then began exhibiting green cheek behaviors, and when DNA tested came back as a green cheek. I was under the impression he was a hybrid, but my sister told me the full story.
My sister won’t get shredding toys because he makes a mess out of them - like that isn’t what he’s supposed to do with them ):
Im gonna probably discreetly buy the toys and then put them on my sisters desk as a present.
the shredding toys are supposed to make a mess. you are such an amazing person for doing the best for this bird, I really respect you

EgoLobster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kenzie
An important, but sad update.

I spoke with my mother and offered to buy the bird snd did everything I could to convince her, and she refused and said if she caught me on this forum again she’d ban me from using the Internet.
My mother said it was only my sister’s responsibility and not hers or mine.

While I will be continuing to use this forum and take advice as I quite enjoy it here, I can’t bring up anything else to my sister or I’ll get in massive trouble, which isn’t fair considering Im practically a legal adult and work on my own.

I’ll take any advice on toys or things I can do as someone who isn’t allowed near the bird to make it’s life better. My mother even acknowledged how depressed the bird is but said that it’s not our choice and it’s only up to my sister, which is really upsetting.

Im doing everything I can to help Sassy, but I can’t talk about advice from here anymore. If you can link me specific toys you think would be good for him I will personally buy them and give them to her for Sassy, and continue to sneak in her room and care for the bird when she won’t.

EgoLobster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kenzie
@MR. Mango @Tazlima @BirbOwner @StormyPica @Shezbug @Pat H @Sylvi_ @BrianB @peachypjm @finchly

my final update regarding Sassy is above, still accepting advice but y’all should know that I am officially no longer allowed to interact with or ask about Sassy because I “overstepped my boundaries”

Thank you all, so, so much for helping. Again if you have any toy ideas or things I can do from afar feel free to let me know but this is the conclusion for now. I hope to see y’all around the forums

-Ego

MR. Mango

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’m sorry to hear that, but I commend you for doing your best!

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
@EgoLobster I just want to give a big thank you to you. And a hug. :hug8:
Sassy’s lucky to have you looking out for him, even if you’re being limited by other elements in the household.

Definitely stay on the Avenue if you can. Someone so kind and thoughtful to birds is more than welcome. And we’ll help where we can.

BrianB

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Sometimes you try your best with the best of intentions and it just isn't enough. Thanks for the effort you've put in. We all appreciate it and hopefully, Sassy will someday as well.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
@MR. Mango @Tazlima @BirbOwner @StormyPica @Shezbug @Pat H @Sylvi_ @BrianB @peachypjm @finchly

my final update regarding Sassy is above, still accepting advice but y’all should know that I am officially no longer allowed to interact with or ask about Sassy because I “overstepped my boundaries”

Thank you all, so, so much for helping. Again if you have any toy ideas or things I can do from afar feel free to let me know but this is the conclusion for now. I hope to see y’all around the forums

-Ego
I’m really sorry you keep hitting roadblocks while trying to make Sassys life what it should be. Sounds like a horribly tough situation for both you and Sassy. I hope you know that many here feel and believe you’re doing what’s right in trying to step in and help and that the boundaries you apparently overstepped are in serious need of being reassessed... cruelty and neglect of the innocent, children and animals should never be tolerated, normalised or ignored. I want you to know that you’re exactly the kind of person I want to step in and shake me up if I ever slack off and accept rubbish care standards for my pets. People like you make a massive difference to others!
We all totally understand that you need to keep your home environment peaceful and follow the guidelines set out by your parents. Thank you for trying your best- you’re an angel!

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Sigh. Well, you did your best. Thank you for trying to help Sassy.

And who knows? Things change. You can't help him right now, but you may get an opportunity in the future to improve his life. Whatever happens, we'll be here, and we'd love to hear an update. Don't be a stranger.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
@EgoLobster I just want to give a big thank you to you. And a hug. :hug8:
Sassy’s lucky to have you looking out for him, even if you’re being limited by other elements in the household.

Definitely stay on the Avenue if you can. Someone so kind and thoughtful to birds is more than welcome. And we’ll help where we can.
DITTO.... :heart:

EgoLobster

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Kenzie

-Ego
I am so sorry for pinging y’all one more time but it’s super important.
It finally happened and she is finally ready to listen I think.

Sassy chewed a hole in the snuggle hut and got his head stuck. My sister was around thankfully and he’s very lucky to be alive and not need medical help. The snuggle hut was tossed out promptly and she’s quite shocked tbh.

Sassy is safe and ok; but it was a really close call. She’s actually listening to the advice we’ve given her now, but it took a near-death experience with her beloved bird to get there.

I truly believe if y’all hadn’t previously expressed concerns she would have bought another snuggle hut, but she’s not going to.

I am truly grateful to each and every one of you for saving her bird’s life.

I probably won’t update y’all anymore on this thread and will be moving to other areas to talk about my own lil baby, my cat Poppy, and discuss maybe someday owning a bird of my own.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's so sad that Sassy had to have a near death experience for your sister to realise that snuggle huts are dangerous.

I commend you for taking such an interest in Sassy and doing you can to improve their life. It sounds like you're in a terribly frustrating situation. It's not much consolation, but it sounds like at least some of your comments are sinking in.

Do feel free to post elsewhere on the forums. It sounds like Sassy has sparked an interest in birds in yourself! We'd love to talk to you about maybe owning a bird of your own one day - you sound like a responsible and committed person.

Tazlima

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I am so sorry for pinging y’all one more time but it’s super important.
It finally happened and she is finally ready to listen I think.

Sassy chewed a hole in the snuggle hut and got his head stuck. My sister was around thankfully and he’s very lucky to be alive and not need medical help. The snuggle hut was tossed out promptly and she’s quite shocked tbh.

Sassy is safe and ok; but it was a really close call. She’s actually listening to the advice we’ve given her now, but it took a near-death experience with her beloved bird to get there.

I truly believe if y’all hadn’t previously expressed concerns she would have bought another snuggle hut, but she’s not going to.

I am truly grateful to each and every one of you for saving her bird’s life.

I probably won’t update y’all anymore on this thread and will be moving to other areas to talk about my own lil baby, my cat Poppy, and discuss maybe someday owning a bird of my own.
Oh man. I'm glad Sassy's okay! Thanks for the update!

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Agreed, I am happy that the Happy Hut is gone, but it's sad to think what could have happened had Sassy been alone, i look forward to reading other threads by you in the future!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Maybe she’s one of them people who needs to learn everything the hardest way possible. Hopefully she’ll come to her senses and realise if so many of us were actually right about the happy hut that just maybe there is some truth and therefore danger in the free access to the towel.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
Maybe she's one of them people who needs to see what could happen (visual learners), even if the bird doesn't get stuck...
Bonus... links are to the Association of Avian Veterinarians site, so you can avoid being, "caught... on this forum again".

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
She replaced it by leaving the towel on the cage and letting the end of it stick inside the cage for him to rip at.

I am going to implode
Doesn't Sassy have any rope toys to chew up? As long as she removes or re-ties them after frayed!