• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Increasing appetite after/during illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thank you all for your ideas and well wishes. Yes he loves toast and peanut butter so I will try that. Monica I have not made the mash yet. I have been handfeeding him Emeraid handfeeding formula though but I make sure its very warm, he eats that good. It was also suggested to me to grind up some pine nuts and macadamia nuts as they are high in calories. He should be waking up soon so I will see what I can whip up for him in addition to his regular seed, nut mix. Last night I made him whole wheat pasta with some red palm oil.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Ok I just about had a heart attack when I got Tequila up. I didnt see any poop in the bottom of his cage..I thought OMG I have impacted his crop! So I hurried up and took him out and inspected his food dish he sleeps near...low and behold there was plenty of poop in there. :) I have been trying to entice him for 45 minutes with food. I gave him some handfeeding with ground pine nuts and he ate that good, he did nibble on some other things too. He is up 2 grams from yesterday. I weigh him the same way everyday for consistency so hopefully that was a true gain.

Quest

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Judy
Pat,
You are doing such a good job
and I can feel how much you love
Tequila by reading your posts. This list is
so good because it puts us in touch with people
that know that special love we have for our babies.
By the way, warm sweet potatoes was the
magic food for my CAG when he needed meds.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
He is starting to fight me on his Baytril :( I am also thinking that if I give him a little bit of normalcy his appetite may improve. I am letting him out for short periods of time. Thank you Judy. :heart:

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
He sounds like he is slowly gaining weight. I sure wouldn't mind being a sick bird in your care! He's going to feign illness when he's back to his old bad self just to get the same treatment!:lol:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
I hope so Monica. I have been moving him around the house with me today and it seems like it is helping him. He was on a playstand and he was eating his regular food mix.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Ok I just about had a heart attack when I got Tequila up. I didnt see any poop in the bottom of his cage..I thought OMG I have impacted his crop! So I hurried up and took him out and inspected his food dish he sleeps near...low and behold there was plenty of poop in there. :)
:omg: how funny, isn't great that we get so excited about viewing poop! :lol:

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
JR I was never so happy to see poop in all my life! :lol:He always poops during the night.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
JR I was never so happy to see poop in all my life! :lol:He always poops during the night.
And after we view it comes the analysis. Can be very stressful.

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
:hug8:for Tequila. Fatten up little birdie! :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.