• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Increasing appetite after/during illness

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to increase Tequila's appetite while he is still on Baytril and still healing? I am going to grind up some Harrison's and make a mash to feed him but any other ideas?

piercesdesigns

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
I'd say anything that is not on the bad list that he will eat is good. Oatmeal with applesauce and cinnamon (sneak in some carrot juice). Baby food from a spoon?
(((hugs))) to Tequila.

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
when Percy was loosing weight lat year I gave him ramen noodles with veggies by hand out of a tea cup so that he thought he was getting a special treat he would eat that when he would not eat anything else
treat him to his favorite food out of a special cup it might help
:hug8:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Exactly what they said, anything that isn't on the bad list is fine for now.
Just get calories in.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Ok guys thanks. I am trying not to stress about it, but the doc is concerned and so am I. He is leaning toward the formulated diets such as Harrisons but my mindset is he if he wants scrambled eggs every morning, so be it. He LOVES pasta, so maybe I should cook up some whole grain pasta..we all know pasta can pack on the pounds. :)

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Heck yes, I fed mashed pototoes, eggies, you name it (minus the salts of course) he loved dries fruit to so always had some of that to give out as well.

Big Blues

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Pat, we are in the process of keeping Shadow's weight up since his seizures. Will he eat birdie bread? You can pack in sweet potatoes, crushed nuts, oatmeal plus any of the great vegetables. I would say pasta is great with a drizzle of RPO if you have it, if not olive oil.

You can order AVIGAIN supplement on line that you can sprinkle on his food. They were really quick getting this to us.

Avitech Exotic Birds - Supplies, Equipment and Nutritional Supplements for Birds!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Yes he normally does love birdy bread but I didnt think about adding all those goodies to it so I will try that. I did make him some whole wheat pasta a little while ago with RPO and he ate a whole piece of penne. He ate some romaine and also some bread. JR I have some Avigain coming. :) My order has already shipped so maybe it will even be here tomorrow. He also really likes sprouts and has been eating those good. Mashed potatoes Kristy, good idea. Eggs he just loves so Mommy will make eggs tomorrow for all the birds...and the dogs. :) The dogs see me crack eggs, and they are like magnets on my butt. :hehe:

Kristy

Welcome to the Avenue!
Pat there is no time I ever feel like I make a difference more on this earth than when caring for a sick pet and making them food (having no children).

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Kristy, I have to say, this has been such an empowering experience. Not that I would want to do it again, but nursing Tequila back to health has been such a growing experience for me.:hug8: My life has been revolving around caring and cooking for him. I think even my hubby has a new appreciation for him. First thing he does is check his cage or ask me "how is the patient doing?" "Is he eating?" "Is he drinking?" I think it has been a horrible/wonderful experience for all of us. Even the dogs seem to know what is going on. When I handfeed Tequila, Bailey just sits a little ways away and watches me feed Tequila. :hug8:I am getting teary just typing this. :(

Pat there is no time I ever feel like I make a difference more on this earth than when caring for a sick pet and making them food (having no children).

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
Your a great Mommy. And I pray everyday for a complete recovery for little Tequila.

Ginger

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
If he has been on antibiotics then the good bacteria in his gut is gone. It would be a good idea to introduce some "probiotics" into his system to get some of that good bacteria back into his system. That should make him hungrier and want to eat more.

I give my birds some plain yogurt with a bit of fruit mixed in for flavor.

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thank you John. I did mention that to the vet, but he wasnt saying to add any at this time, but I certainly will.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
Awe Pat, anything Tequila will eat that is safe is good, I would think....I know how you feel...that nurturing mode just kicks in real quick.

vancha

Sprinting down the street
This is a very helpful thread. :) I've used Avitech's products before and they are very good. Aside from supplements, I agree that making sure a sick bird is just getting high calorie, nutrient-packed foods and enough of them.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I just wanted to send you some good vibes and let you know that I too am pulling for you both.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
How about a little plain peanut butter on whole grain toast?
Big hugs to you & Tequila, Pat!:hug8:

akijoy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Monica
What temperature is your mash? My birds love to eat very warm food. It must feel comforting in their crop.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
I'm another one for the warm foods to feed when they are sick...they just seem to eat more when it's warm...:hug8::heart:

Status
Not open for further replies.