• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Incident with B&G - Life-Saving Treatment

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris
I am posting about this with permission from the friend that experience the incident yesterday.

This may at some point in your life with macaws, be life-saving information to have on hand in case of emergency.
**OBVIOUSLY, consulting an avian vet is ALWAYS the best choice before trying something new!****

Yesterday, a woman I know, had a frightening incident with her B&G.
The macaw was suddenly in severe respiratory distress (cause unknown, suspected allergic reaction to ?????).
She called several vets; most would not see her macaw as they don't treat birds. Others were too far away.
More phone calls...and she wound up speaking to an holistic vet in her province, that asked her many questions.

He advised getting a bottle of 'Apis Mellifica.'
One pill was crushed and mixed with sterile water, administered by eye dropper.
Her B&G recovered immediately and is still fine today.
Without the "over the phone" advice from the vet, her B&G would not have made it.

The vial of 100 pills cost $8. here in Canada. One pill - saved the life of her macaw.

It will likely never be known what caused the breathing problem.

Personally, I am anxious to discuss this with my breeder friend who is also a pharmacist - for his opinion.

Google 'Apis Mellifica' to do your own research- it is also mentioned in the Avian Medicine e-book, at Holistic Birds, and many other avian related web sites.
It's commonly used for treatment of bee stings - humans, dogs and cats.

I'm very happy for this B&G and her family!!!
The vet she called, that helped her to save her B&G's life - is Dr. Shawn Smith, in Fredericton, N.B. Canada

Last edited by a moderator:

TypingParrot

Rollerblading along the road
I am glad they found a way to treat it! I will be looking it up. Could you get permission from your friend for me to share this experience in an article?

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
Thank you for sharing this information Doris. Perhaps this would be a good thing to research and add to our first aid kits.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I saw this Doris in the Holistic group. Very scary! I will definitely need to do some investigating and purchase this product.

Reactions: Ali

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Wow.... this is good to know... I will be ordering some to keep in my 1st aid box!!!!!
Thanks for posting this Doris!

Deejo

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Doris

crzybrdldy

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Patty