• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Incense and non scented Candles?

FallenLuna

Meeting neighbors
Hello!

So, to start this off. I will say I dabble in more of the.. deity practice. And I finally set myself up an altar in my room.

However, I’ve started to use incense like Lavander, Myrrh, Frankincense and Sage. Baby’s cage is a good 5’6” away from my altar. I’m always sure to have the window open, and the air purifier going as well as the ceiling fan. Should she be okay? The burner is one of the small backflow ones

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Nope I wouldnt use them it can cause really bad health problems in your fid ;)

FallenLuna

Meeting neighbors
I have two windows open, a air purifier going, the ceiling fan, none of that would help?

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
I was a huge candle and incense person before I came to be a parrot mom and put it all away due to the health issue for the birds ..there really isnt anything else I would recommend for burning :)

FallenLuna

Meeting neighbors
I was a huge candle and incense person before I came to be a parrot mom and put it all away due to the health issue for the birds ..there really isnt anything else I would recommend for burning :)
I’ve had baby for 5 years, I got her personally after my aunt passed. I don’t want anything to happen to her.

I figured with the windows, the air purifier and the ceiling fan it would be okay cause I don’t burn them all the time.

Attachments

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
Even with all that there is still a chance of lung issues with the birds ..any chance isnt worth taking ;)

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
I only burn candles and incense outdoors, probably 20 or so feet from my house. Inside, I use symbolic alternatives on my altar.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The problem is you won't always see immediate health concerns from it. It can be a slow killer. It might be okay 5, 10 times, 50 times. But it only takes one time for it to go wrong. You won't know until it's too late.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I practice more eastern philosophy (like Buddhism) and have an alter as well, and dabble in the… I dunno, occult? I don’t feel like that’s the right word but I can’t think of another.

Anyway, one of the biggest things when it comes to either Buddhism or Paganism is that the set up doesn’t matter. The offerings don’t matter. None of the trappings and aesthetics matter.

The only thing that matters is intent.

You can call on ancestors and spirits and deities without candles and incense. All you need is your intent.

Winn

Jogging around the block
I would suggest moving your alter or your birds to a separate area... as far apart as possible with doors closed between them if you want to keep birds and be free to practice.
Also at the same time continuing to use the safety precautions you currently use.. (open window, air purifier and ceiling fan, but make sure the fan is always off if your birds are out. It can injure them if they are hit by a moving blade.)

I don't use candles, oils or incense indoors at all since getting my birds. I mop and clean with a vinegar/water mixture ONLY.
I have gotten some odd stares from neighbors when I was sitting under the oak tree in the yard with candles lit...:smuggrin:

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Anyway, one of the biggest things when it comes to either Buddhism or Paganism is that the set up doesn’t matter. The offerings don’t matter. None of the trappings and aesthetics matter.

The only thing that matters is intent.

You can call on ancestors and spirits and deities without candles and incense. All you need is your intent.
As a pagan I second this!

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Led candles could be a good alternative? I am sorry if someone already mentioned it and I missed it. Maybe doesn’t feel as authentic but intent is the same:)

traceytiel

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Tracey Smith-Gillard
I've been incredibly lucky. When I was a practicing Nichiren Shoshu Buddhist I burned Japanese incense twice daily in a studio apartment with 2 cockatiels for 3 years, and they were fine. I am grateful, and do not recommend it just because I was lucky.