• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Inca talking

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Inca started talking within a week of his homecoming. Recently his vocabulary has increased to four-five words. He says 'maa', 'Inca'... If I give him treat he'll say 'good boy'... All these he says in a cute parrot voice, he's a quick learner as far as human speech is concerned, but he can't mimic your voice(and that's just great, his birdie voice is soooo sweet). Now he's saying my son's name (Shohaag), Inca pronounces as "quooaak".. Lol. I heard OWA are not great talkers, but I think I am lucky.

Attachments

Love My Zons

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Claire
Like without a doubt your Amazon needs a larger cage. I hope you won't take our comments as being mean or condescending at all. But habitats for caged birds need to allow sufficient movement and explorational opportunities because Amazons are quite active.

If you allow your bird the outside freedom of a cage daily, this is optimal.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You will continually be amazed at their talking. They do pick up tones, also.

Secret came out with a voice that gave me the creeps about a year ago. Quite scary sounding voice.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Like without a doubt your Amazon needs a larger cage. I hope you won't take our comments as being mean or condescending at all. But habitats for caged birds need to allow sufficient movement and explorational opportunities because Amazons are quite active.

If you allow your bird the outside freedom of a cage daily, this is optimal.
Not at all...valuable advices from this forum is my biggest help ... I have already ordered a cage for him... But I am really really worried about moving him to a new one. He's so accustomed to this cage, he doesn't want to come out. Forcing him for anything is out of question. I'll seek advice from you all when the cage is ready.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Does that cage even have a door big enough for Inca to get out? Is it a up/down guillotine style or swing out?

Study the cage & hopefully you can open the door & hold the cage in front of the new cages door.

Use a small perch from back to gently move the bird forward into the new cage.

First leave the new cage near the bird & set it up so he gets used to seeing it. Put treats in it.
Play with it like its a friend so he will become familiar with it.

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
He might not be mimicking any exact voices now, but just wait.

My guy does my old man gravel voice, and my wife’s higher lady pitch.

He speaks much clearer doing HER voice, so when I try to teach him new phrases, I make a point of choosing expressions at higher pitch.

Yes, OWAs aren’t known as great talkers (although they’re one of the top sweetest, good natured Amazons), but your guy might be the exception to the rule if he’s already talking!

Last edited:

Wthensler

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
William hensler
Bobo our red lored is a decent talker, a fantastic whistler, and loves to mimic sounds, including the neighbors little yappy dog. He loves to imitate high pitched noises like blenders, routers, drills and gets us laughing uncontrollably with these sounds.

Then he imitates our laughing .

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
He might not be mimicking any exact voices now, but just wait.

My guy does my old man gravel voice, and my wife’s higher lady pitch.

He speaks much clearer doing HER voice, so when I try to teach him new phrases, I make a point of choosing expressions at higher pitch.

Yes, OWAs aren’t known as great talkers (although they’re one of the top sweetest, good natured Amazons), but your guy might be the exception to the rule if he’s already talking!
Yes I am banking on the mellow Amazon thing... I am scared about 'hot three ' spices.. Lol

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Yes I am banking on the mellow Amazon thing... I am scared about 'hot three ' spices.. Lol
MC was one of the hot three and he was a fabulous sweetie.

I'm still hopeful Secret will mellow. I only know the bird to be 43 years old.... there's still time!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
MC was one of the hot three and he was a fabulous sweetie.

I'm still hopeful Secret will mellow. I only know the bird to be 43 years old.... there's still time!
That means there's nothing sacrosanct about it... Actually, each bird is unique individual.

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
I had an OWA that lived to age 48. He wasn't a great talker, but boy did he vocalize! He made so many sounds, we were constantly amazed. And, he was a sweetie. He would prefer to run away from conflict. I guess he was more of a chicken!

Now my BFA is definitely a fighter. He is about to turn 38, and is a pretty good talker. He will never back down, but does not bite us. Very beaky, but very gentle. He loves to play rough with us and his toys.

Your guy is just so cute. I wish you a long time with him.

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I had an OWA that lived to age 48. He wasn't a great talker, but boy did he vocalize! He made so many sounds, we were constantly amazed. And, he was a sweetie. He would prefer to run away from conflict. I guess he was more of a chicken!

Now my BFA is definitely a fighter. He is about to turn 38, and is a pretty good talker. He will never back down, but does not bite us. Very beaky, but very gentle. He loves to play rough with us and his toys.

Your guy is just so cute. I wish you a long time with him.
Thank you so much

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have some good news to share... Recently Inca touches his toe to any object on instruction... I say ' Inca, paa' ( leg, in bengali) and he raises his claws and grabs the object... Today, he touched the T perch on my instruction... Though he's still scared of it, but I think we're making progress. What do think, friends?
P. S. I always praise him whenever he follows any instruction, also give his favorite treat.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I have some good news to share... Recently Inca touches his toe to any object on instruction... I say ' Inca, paa' ( leg, in bengali) and he raises his claws and grabs the object... Today, he touched the T perch on my instruction... Though he's still scared of it, but I think we're making progress. What do think, friends?
P. S. I always praise him whenever he follows any instruction, also give his favorite treat.
Yeah!!!! Way to go!