• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Inbred Lutino Cockatiel Genetic Issues?

Korinya

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi! I recently found out that my lutino, Corrin, may be inbred to an extent due to his heavily pronounced bald spot behind his crest (I don't have a picture but for reference it takes up about halfof the top of his head and is only covered when his crest is fully flat). He is currently in good health, so I'm not too worried, but I was wondering if anyone may have some issues I should look out for as he gets older if this is true, or if this is the only major difference he will display from this. There doesn't seem to be much information online except for a few panic articles which I don't trust as good information sources.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Large bald spots often come from breeding Lutinos to Lutinos, which you're not supposed to do for the bald spot reason, for one. That's not being "inbred" though as in mating siblings, etc. There was a time when it was thought that Lutinos may have more health issues etc because of poor breeding practices but I don't think that's really the case anymore.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
The only potential issue I see is a parront being stressed about what could possibly happen in the future instead of just enjoying the now. Worrying about something that'll likely never happen does no-one any good.