• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In your opinion, are some birds smarter then others?

Lanka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ale
Confirmation bias is a thing -- it's human nature to think the choice you made is the best one (it doesn't make it so).
The road not taken is unknowable -- it's impossible to know the person you hired is better than the one you passed by (because you passed them by).
I never said I do not hire someone because of my first impression. I just said it always proves to be the truth..meaning i did hire them.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I never said I do not hire someone because of my first impression. I just said it always proves to be the truth..meaning i did hire them.
Also, you...
I never said I don’t hire people base on my impression on their intelligence, i do, but my first impression always is right.
You're talking in circles.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The person you didnt hire might have been better ?

In my years in retail i recruited 1000's of people it was a 45 minute snapshot i recruited some shocking people, some great people and some amazing people who went on to become my boss and then my bosses boss it was all based on more than first impressions

Lanka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ale
I have 2 GCC one stepped up after a month the other is still a work in progress after 4 months. Does stepping up after a month make Mojo more inteligent ? Or does it make KiKi more inteligent as she is being more measured and cautious ?

I wonder if when there preening each other and chirruping away are they are discussing who is more inteligent me or my wife :think1:

Isnt the inteligence of all animals driven by instinct ?
Is there food,water any threats...
I never said that their intelligence is correlated to their ability to train and socialize with humans.
I happened to live in a large European city with a significant street dog population and long cold winters. They would go through town catch (spay, vaccinate, chip) and release (put back on the street where found) program. Some were super friendly, some were not.. but only the smartest were able to survive. First was the ability to find food and shelter - some by making friends with people ... then those people would ask permission from the town to build them a house by their business ( apartment building), let them inside their businesses during the night, make sure they have food,water, are warm.. some by dumpster diving, some by relocating themselves next to schools where kids would feed them their lunches and make them shelters... But what really made a difference was their ability to adjust and survive the busy (imagine new york) kind of traffic.. big majority of them got hit by car.s/trains etc. and then you would see those street granpas... dogs that survived 10-15+ years... if I haven't seen it with my eyes I would not believe it. They would go to the pedestrian crosswalk and wait for the green light, or wait for humans to come and then cross with them. I've lived there for 8 years and fostered more than a 100 dogs and there is a huge difference in the intelligence between individual dogs.. and those are not pure breed dogs ... so I was just wondering if it is the same with birds...

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I never said that their intelligence is correlated to their ability to train and socialize with humans.
you didnt define your definition of inteligence in your original post you did however ask for the opinion of people with multiple birds i would assume you mean more than one as you didnt define that either. well i am one of those people.

I dont know why you are qualifying your responce with a dog analagy they are domesticated animals domesticated over thousands of years my understanding of intelligence is the ability to learn and manipulate your enviroment if what my bird doing stepping up isnt that then what is it ?

I didnt happen to live in a large European city i do live in a large European city my city has a flock a wild Indian ringnecks that live in a local park they have manipuated there enviroment to exist and flourish in my city.
What you are describing is a learned behaviour it's evolution its what dogs do as they are very much domesticated if thats what you wondered what birds do that was answered earlier.

but only the smartest were able to survive.
This is also incorrect the most dominent where able to survive

Dogs see people they see a feed its in them unless you are talking true wild african dogs

Have you ever seen Japanese fisherman using cormorants to fish ? thats inteligence manipulating there enviroment and its inhabitants they will keep me nice and safe and away from predators i will catch loads of fish ( dead easy for me ) i will get fed and a nice safe house at night.
you could possibly define this as a symbiotic relationship you look after me i look after you like a clownfish and a cripsa anemone you keep me safe i feed you then nem keeps the clownfish and its egg safe the clownfish feeds the nem however this is true symbiosis it's nature evolution. the Japanese fisherman is a learnt behaviour a manipulation on both parts it's not evolution it's inteligence.

Mojo rolled on her back one day whilst in her cage i laughed so she done it again i laughed and asked her to roll over so she did next time i asked her to rollover she didn't so i offered her seed and asked her to she rolled over, Who was manipulated ? who was trained ? Mojo manipulated her enviroment aka me that is a sign of inteligence.

also your responce regarding dogs is very much about them sociaising with humans so you cant say there intelligence isnt corelated to socializing with humans..

Lanka

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ale
The person you didn't hire might have been better?

In my years in retail, I recruited 1000's of people it was a 45 minute snapshot i recruited some shocking people, some great people, and some amazing people who went on to become my boss and then my bosses boss it was all based on more than the first impressions
Well, I hire people for all kinds of positions... I don't think intelligence is always correlated with school degrees and professions. I hired many very intelligent people who worked in the factories for 20+ years with no school, and I hired many people with grad school diplomas who were not very intelligent.. hard work can compensate for a lot. I just said, having that as my job and seeing many different people for the first time on their interview and then following up for years with them and getting to know them better.. my first impression never failed me. If I thought that a person is not intelligent (it does not mean he/she is not fit for a job), with further interaction, I would just confirm my initial thoughts. And the same if I thought someone was intelligent, doesn't matter what kind of job they were hired for. There is just something in people's looks and eyes, that can tell you a lot about their intelligence. and it never failed me. I really don't think i want to participate here anymore and it really went in a completely different direction and was not my plan to provoke anyone, but obviously, i did.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
There's a difference between aptitudes (talent) & opportunity (training; time & money to do training). Not everyone gets both. Life is unjust. But I still respect those who had both & achieve great things, including advanced degrees. Some people have both & do nothing, or worse. One thing a solid education will teach you is critical thinking. I find the trend of not doing so, especially viewing the world in absolute terms, alarming.

My budgies insist we measure human intelligence based on budgie aptitudes & opporunity: they challenge you & anyone who cares to join you to survive a day let alone years in the Australian outback with nothing, as their relatives do.

Marzipan looks intelligent. I believe there is something to that, but as previously mentioned it's too often clouded by bias. That's why cat people often insist dogs look unintelligent & vice versa. Winston looks wise & kind. Marzipan always seems to be assessing people (we don't measure up).

Reactions: tka