• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In search of Senegal parrot and a few questions

Neopixal

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
George
Need help looking for a Senegal parrot baby in the los angeles,ca area or any breeder that's cool with shipping. Anyone have experience owning a Senegal in an apartment, how loud are their calls compared to cape parrots? I was thinking about getting a cape parrot, but opted out due to reading about their 'phase' around the 2nd year of age. Anyone have experience keeping a cape in an apartment too?

TikkiTembo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Chelsea
We've had our adult Senegal for a few weeks now. She makes a high pitched call that can be heard upstairs through two closed doors. But it sounds more like a wild bird than a scream like our Conure. She's gentle and funny and friendly, but I know that Senegals can be quite temperamental. I highly suggest adopting an adult bird if you get the chance to, they are who they are and don't change as dramatically as a baby does.

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best
Also look into ways of sound proofing your apartment. Birds that are quiet, can still make extraordinarily loud calls at times.

I've used double pained (storm windows), carpets hung along the walls, heavy curtains, etc...
There's more extreme ways to do it also, such as sound panels musicians use.
Check your neighbors and see if they'd be tolerant if the noise happens until you can fix it.
Birds are noisy. Period. You can curtail it with attention, toys, sound proofing and such, but you can't stop it.

Better prepared than evicted, or having to rehome your baby.
Many parrots can exist in apartments, but it can be a trial and error until your neighbors are OK with things.

Good luck, and ask if you ever need help. Many here have noisy birds and neighbors. ;)

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
Check with your new neighbors as they move in because neighbors change and things might go different then I know my neighborhood changed and my birds got reported to the city and I had to rehome them

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
No matter which bird you go with noise will be part of the package. Talking to your neighbors is a good step. I will say this, no one ever asks my permission to have a baby and screaming babies sure do their part in making a bit of noise. I think people are pretty understanding and tolerate some noise. The bigger problem is if your bird contact calls all day or screams all day then you are more likely to have problems. Even a loud scream is forgivable to most normal people. So don't be afraid to ask your neighbors, or at least share you intentions and get a read on your environment.

I think the advice about getting an older bird is great. Older birds have matured and you have a better idea of the adult personality, understanding of course that all birds get grumpy from time to time..much like people :) Remember not all re-homes or rescues are from bad situations. Many of these birds were well loved.

MauiWendy

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Wendy
Senegal's call is nothing compared to a Cape. Their calls make your teeth hurt. The worst sound my Senegal had was the sound a smoke detector makes when the batteries are dying. She could be loud but she was never unbearable, and I get migraines. She had her contact call, but I would always talk back to her when she couldn't see me. I have a RB which is also in the Poi family as is a Senegal. The sounds he makes are very similar to a Senegal. We live in an apartment, never had a complaint.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I first got my Senegal I lived in an apartment and I had no issues. Jake is not a screamer or squawker. He does talk, whistle and does some sound affects. Never had any complaints about noises from him when I lived there.

Hahns0hmy

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Adam
My senegal is pretty quiet, was just saying the other day how a Senegal makes a good apartment bird. I live in a house but would recommend them for an apartment. They do squawk here and there mainly mornings or when upset over something but majority of the time you wont hear them.

malibu

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maddie
I have heard that apart from contact calling they tend to be a quiet bird. However one thing ive seen and I actually did with one of my fids is instead of screaming for attention they ring a bell. This means that you would have to still reward your bird ringing the bell on occasion so they dont revert back to screaming but bell ringing is much more tolerable than a screaming parrot especially when you live in an apartment.