• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In search of a lovebird breeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cupoftea

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Anna
Hello everyone!

I am in search of a new feathered friend. My previous birds were all bought from pet stores but this time I would like the experience of buying through a responsible bird breeder. I am more familiar in this area in the dog world and would like some advice on how to search for a good bird breeder.

In addition, I have only owned budgies and finches before. How are lovebirds compared to budgies? I would like my lovebird to be tame and for me to be able to play with it and enjoy my company. How would I go about doing so once I buy the little baby? I am planning on buying from a breeder who hand raises/hand tames the birds.

Anyway, I'm sorry if my questions are dumb and silly but I want to buy and raise my new friend the right way.

Thank you in advance for any advice!

LunaLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
I am from New England so I am not much help of breeders in Vancouver but I recently got my first bird ever, a baby Dutch Blue Pied Peach face Lovebird I named Luna. I got him form a breeder who hand fed him and took him home when he was around 10-11 weeks old. He just turned 21 weeks old.

Since he was hand raised he tame when I got him and from day one he was never scared of me or my hands and walling would hang out and play with me. I think it the baby is hand raised it will from the start like you. Because of how our breeder interacted with him, Luna would automatically step onto a flat hand held out for him so he taught himself step up.
He is very sweet, but he has an ear fetish and loves chewing on them and he also seems to think our fingernails do not belong on our fingers!
As far as playing his favorite thing is a small cat toy, the plastic ball with a bell inside. He always goes over and plays with it and if you shake it he gets all excited and starts chirping waiting for u to roll it across the bed for him.

I know I’m not much help since I’ve only had my baby Luna for a little over two months but I just love him and seeing him grow :heart:

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
I am from New England so I am not much help of breeders in Vancouver but I recently got my first bird ever, a baby Dutch Blue Pied Peach face Lovebird I named Luna. I got him form a breeder who hand fed him and took him home when he was around 10-11 weeks old. He just turned 21 weeks old.

Since he was hand raised he tame when I got him and from day one he was never scared of me or my hands and walling would hang out and play with me. I think it the baby is hand raised it will from the start like you. Because of how our breeder interacted with him, Luna would automatically step onto a flat hand held out for him so he taught himself step up.
He is very sweet, but he has an ear fetish and loves chewing on them and he also seems to think our fingernails do not belong on our fingers!
As far as playing his favorite thing is a small cat toy, the plastic ball with a bell inside. He always goes over and plays with it and if you shake it he gets all excited and starts chirping waiting for u to roll it across the bed for him.

I know I’m not much help since I’ve only had my baby Luna for a little over two months but I just love him and seeing him grow :heart:
My budgie liked that toy too!! Thanks for your help, I have found a breeder near me who hand raises her birds. I'm so anxious and excited, but nervous!

LunaLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
My dad had a budgie growing up, they found it out side, it flew off their roof and landed on my grandmas head! He loved it but when he was older he had a lovebird form a close friend who bred them. I think he likes lovebirds a little more but every one in my family is bird crazy and we attract the largest number of humming birds around!

My Luna was actually my Christmas gift as there was nothing I wanted and my parents knew I planed on getting one soon so they said they would buy it once I found one I wanted. I went crazy calling different breeders trying to find a baby love bird and when I found one I was soooo anxious waiting to meet her and the babies especially since I was the first person to contact her I got first pick. I went with the intention of getting a normal peach face but my Little Luna was the only baby who didnt hide in the back of the brooder and I just knew he was for me!

He is just so much fun and his personality had really developed (so far his fav play toy is my dad since he wears glasses it makes a perfect play gym and he has a beard with Luna finds fascinating) .

Do you know what species/mutation you want?

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
My dad had a budgie growing up, they found it out side, it flew off their roof and landed on my grandmas head! He loved it but when he was older he had a lovebird form a close friend who bred them. I think he likes lovebirds a little more but every one in my family is bird crazy and we attract the largest number of humming birds around!

My Luna was actually my Christmas gift as there was nothing I wanted and my parents knew I planed on getting one soon so they said they would buy it once I found one I wanted. I went crazy calling different breeders trying to find a baby love bird and when I found one I was soooo anxious waiting to meet her and the babies especially since I was the first person to contact her I got first pick. I went with the intention of getting a normal peach face but my Little Luna was the only baby who didnt hide in the back of the brooder and I just knew he was for me!

He is just so much fun and his personality had really developed (so far his fav play toy is my dad since he wears glasses it makes a perfect play gym and he has a beard with Luna finds fascinating) .

Do you know what species/mutation you want?
No I'm not sure! I don't really care too much about colour, I'm more concerned for the right personality. All I know is that I want one who isn't shy and likes to play. :)

SunUp

Avenue Veteran
I don't have info on a specific breeder, but just wanted to mention how I picked out my Topaz. I found a great breeder (she's on this forum, but no longer breeds), and when I went to choose there were several babies available. They were all so adorable and I didn't know how to choose, but after a few minutes this little fella came over to me and hopped up on my offered hand....and that was it! :) He's been a sweety from day one (going on 8 years this year). So, if you have the luxury of letting one pick you, it can work out great.

Good luck!

Aah061211

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jorge
Just make sure you ask about the hand feeding methods. Hand fed doesn't necessarily mean tame. As I learned in my recent purchase. I think the breeder I bought from didn't spend time with the baby in addition to feeding.
He's so scittish and I need a lot of time with him to change his ways.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII

LunaLove

Strolling the yard
Avenue Veteran
No I'm not sure! I don't really care too much about colour, I'm more concerned for the right personality. All I know is that I want one who isn't shy and likes to play. :)
When I meet Luna he was very calm and just was happy sitting in my hand. Now that hes gotten old boy has he changed into a hyper active little bird! He whill play and he loves showing off his flying skills when I put my dog outside and he gets free reign of the house he goes crazy just flying laps. He will take breaks to play with his cat ball or chew/throw little beads for me to pick up and then it'll be nap time. But When I first meet him I would of never guessed hed be this active!

The only thing he is he is not huge into being pet, he only wants to be pet when HE wants to be lol. He will let know! He much rather be layign and flyign right now then being scratched. But I assume thats because hes only a lil over 5 months and a baby

Last edited:

illuminati

Walking the driveway
My budgie liked that toy too!! Thanks for your help, I have found a breeder near me who hand raises her birds. I'm so anxious and excited, but nervous!
'

the lady I got my brown head from also breeds love birds and they are super sweet birds...theres no reason to be nervous..

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
'

the lady I got my brown head from also breeds love birds and they are super sweet birds...theres no reason to be nervous..
Lol, well, I do feel a little nervous because I want to make the right decision! I tend to be impulsive at times, so I want to make sure everything goes right.

cupoftea

Real Name
Anna
Just make sure you ask about the hand feeding methods. Hand fed doesn't necessarily mean tame. As I learned in my recent purchase. I think the breeder I bought from didn't spend time with the baby in addition to feeding.
He's so scittish and I need a lot of time with him to change his ways.

Sent from my Galaxy SIII
I heard that too. The breeder I'm looking at posts videos on youtube of how they handle their birds. They show the babies going on their hands and chirping. They look pretty tame. But I'll have to see first hand how they are like! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.