• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In reased plucking and high cholesterol

Janeku

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi guys I have a 10yo male Eclectus who had a recent vet check up. He has high cholesterol, hormone imbalance and increased plucking. My qst is what foods help reduce cholesterol in parrots and do you think it will reduce the plucking? (he has started 5months ago and targets his pin feathers)
(To combat the plucking i give him warm sprays with alovera from the garden).
I think his diet is ok. I usually boil up sweet potatoe, carrots then add capsicum, corn, pumpkin, cucumber, Peas, chilli, spinach,soaked chickpeas and avian pellets on the side (uncoloured). He is a bit obsessed with millet, I try and only give a little bit once a day if I have it.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
The real problem is with atherosclerosis. The high cholesterol encourages that. Does he get a lot of exercise - flying. His diet looks good - except I would cut out the capsicum and chili to see if that is irritating his gastric system and causing the plucking. Did the Dr. say that there is any sign of atherosclerosis - discomfort from lack of adequate circulation can also cause plucking.

I know very little about electus, but I have seen many who own them say that pellets can cause problems with them.

I personally, dislike aloe vera because it tends to leave a scummy deposit on their feathers. Just frequent baths with plain water would probably serve you better.

Did the Dr. say there is any way to correct the hormone balance?

Janeku

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi, yes he is often out of his cage flying around chasing my other bird and often trying to get into things he shouldn't.
I will give that a go- cutting out caps and chilli.
The dr didn't mention anything about it. She charted him antibiotics for an infection.
Pellets he only get 2 Tblspoon a day. He hasn't had any for a week now as I have run out.
I usually just cut a bit of the inside of the aloe out and put it in the spray bottle. But I can try and give that a break as well.
She said wait and see if things improve once the infection resolves

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have never had an eclectus do well on a pelleted diet, so if it were me I would do all the research on providing a balanced diet without the addition of pellets. It’s difficult, but can be done.
His hormone imbalance may be due to the dietary imbalance. Ekkies stress easily, and if he isn’t receiving enough of the nutrients he needs or too much of what he doesn’t need, they go out of whack easy. You may find the hormones fall back to normal when you get the diet resolved. The plucking may be related to pain or the diet as well.

BirdG1rl

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Mara M.M
Ekkies need a high fruit diet to be healthy and strong! Resolving the diet should be the no.1 priority! Good luck with your Ekkie! They're beautiful birbs! :)