• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In Preparation for Lesson 4

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
For lesson 4 we are going to start target training, so before we do I need everyone participating to get something to use as a target stick. I use a wooden chopstick for all my small to medium birds. If you have a large parrot you would want to use something thicker, but not something that could be confused with a perch. You could use a pen, a very thin dowel made of wood or plastic (again, it should not be the same size as your birds perches, but much thinner).

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Oooh.. That's going to be a TOUGHIE!! Emma and Sachi hate sticks.:huh:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Oooh.. That's going to be a TOUGHIE!! Emma and Sachi hate sticks.:huh:
Okay, let's flesh that out. Explain what you mean by they hate sticks? What kind of sticks and in what context? They may be ok with a chopstick if you start out at a distance. We will be shaping this behavior so you can start out a bit away if you need to;)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Perhaps I am misunderstanding or jumping to conclusions. :o:What will this stick be used for Vicky?:D

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
Perhaps I am misunderstanding or jumping to conclusions. :o:What will this stick be used for Vicky?:D
The stick will be used for target training where we will teach the bird to open their beak on a target stick in front of them and eventually, even follow the target stick. :) If they hate sticks or are fearful of sticks then we may have to desensitize to them or use a different target, on the other hand the training itself may change their emotional response to sticks:)

Saemma

Ripping up the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
:dance5: Ah!! I think that will be fine. :dance4:I can use chopsticks. I was thinking that you wanted them to step up on the stick.

rocabird

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
dawn
I'm using a craft (popsicle) stick. And being a bad student, I've jumped ahead and started working on targeting.:eek:

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
:dance5: Ah!! I think that will be fine. :dance4:I can use chopsticks. I was thinking that you wanted them to step up on the stick.
Perfect. Yes, we definitely won't have them stepping onto it.

I'm using a craft (popsicle) stick. And being a bad student, I've jumped ahead and started working on targeting.:eek:

Please wait for us. I have been trying to encourage people to please wait before moving on that way everyone knows how to move forward correctly and we are all moving forward together.

jinh

Walking the driveway
jackson just bites the stick and snaps of the end of it lol...though he does follow...because he wants to destroy ;)

BraveheartDogs

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Vicki
jackson just bites the stick and snaps of the end of it lol...though he does follow...because he wants to destroy ;)
Ok. What I want you to do is click WAY early like as soon as he looks at it. We can teach him to just follow without the bite:)