• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In need of playstand inspiration

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Hey, after a year of working with dolly (an 8 year old CAG) she has finally accepted natural perches. In her old home she was only given metal perches and she was rarely handled causing her to start being terrified of humans. Well before she accepted perches she would only cling on to me or artificial things like glass tables, chairs, flooring ect.

she is now accepting of some toys and a smallish bird tree i got her. I would like to order a bigger play stand which i think i will add ladders to, to connect to the tabletop one i have. Nobody sells big bird play stands here (excluding trees which she is still terrified of). So i would like to order a custom one.

I would love to see your play stands to give me some inspiration!:D

here is hers right now. (Don’t mind her destroyed feathers im currently working on her overpreening)
64469EFB-8E30-4190-8D95-05815CD05936.jpeg A7C2BF29-F1EB-44F1-809B-930F20ED0431.jpeg

Last edited:

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
If you have the ability the ceiling can make a great play area. You can link ropes and bungies together for climbing up to the higher areas. I don't have a current picture of our tree stand set up but will post one of those as well when I get home. On our tree stand I have a few ropes for the boys to move about on and some toys for them to play with.

IMG_3388.jpg

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Here is our current tree stand set up. I switch toys out here and there. You can do fun things with ropes and they provide extra places to roam. Even with tabletop stands you could attach rope from the stand to different places close by for extra travel opportunities. The stand just needs to be able to handle the extra weight to prevent tipping.
D48D1522-FC4C-465E-AB75-8F871BA18B31.jpeg

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It is not my intent to be critical: I'm curious. Does your bird use the ropes attached to the ends of the branches?

Diveks

Walking the driveway
If you have the ability the ceiling can make a great play area. You can link ropes and bungies together for climbing up to the higher areas. I don't have a current picture of our tree stand set up but will post one of those as well when I get home. On our tree stand I have a few ropes for the boys to move about on and some toys for them to play with.

View attachment 403080
Wow i would love to have them up in the ceiling unfortunately I can’t… i think ill do something similar to your tree stand for the living rook stand as unfortunately my tree is too big to go through the door to the office.

i might need to assemble one inside or get one that can be detached somehow:thinking:. Maybe have smaller but tall ones next to eachother to make it wider?

Teckechick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
It is not my intent to be critical: I'm curious. Does your bird use the ropes attached to the ends of the branches?
Jenks explores all of the ropes and everything really. He is the out going one that isn’t afraid of much. He will fly or hop from branch to rope or climb down from where the ropes over lap the branches and hang off of one. Toot is still learning to explore the bigger play areas after being clipped and now having his wings. He will move around the whole top of the tree but doesn’t use the ropes on the tree as much. He is getting better with moving around the ceiling setup but would rather spend his time in the window.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hey, after a year of working with dolly (an 8 year old CAG) she has finally accepted natural perches. In her old home she was only given metal perches and she was rarely handled causing her to start being terrified of humans. Well before she accepted perches she would only cling on to me or artificial things like glass tables, chairs, flooring ect.

she is now accepting of some toys and a smallish bird tree i got her. I would like to order a bigger play stand which i think i will add ladders to, to connect to the tabletop one i have. Nobody sells big bird play stands here (excluding trees which she is still terrified of). So i would like to order a custom one.

I would love to see your play stands to give me some inspiration!:D

here is hers right now. (Don’t mind her destroyed feathers im currently working on her overpreening)
View attachment 403072 View attachment 403073
This is a link for a playstand i made for my conure

I also had these delivered yesterday 20220216_142713.jpg 20220216_185821.jpg

I will add ropes and toys at the weekend to give the girls a couple of days to get used to them.

Diveks

Walking the driveway
This is a link for a playstand i made for my conure

I also had these delivered yesterday View attachment 403113 View attachment 403114

I will add ropes and toys at the weekend to give the girls a couple of days to get used to them.
I saw your thread and i think i will be doing something simillar but with wood. Maybe something like this with natural wood.
1CAAACAE-38A0-4C76-8388-073C8AD2234D.jpeg Also a bit off topic but i love your saltwater tank @Wardy ! I have two myself, dolly’s cage is in the same room as one of them and she loves watching the fishes swim by.

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I saw your thread and i think i will be doing something simillar but with wood. Maybe something like this with natural wood.
View attachment 403152 Also a bit off topic but i love your saltwater tank @Wardy ! I have two myself, dolly’s cage is in the same room as one of them and she loves watching the fishes swim by.
My saltwater tank is no more i sold it

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The play stand is finished!
View attachment 403427
i will drill some o-screw for toys and add some ropes and perches to give her even more things to do. This thing makes the tabletop perch look tiny.
Wow! That's absolutely gorgeous :heart:

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
That is amazing! Best playstand I've ever seen!

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
The play stand is finished!
View attachment 403427
i will drill some o-screw for toys and add some ropes and perches to give her even more things to do. This thing makes the tabletop perch look tiny.
Q-- do you feel the need to add screws to ends of wood to secure more than just the rope twine? Don't get me wrong--- I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that playpen... :awww:

I think I would have extended the floor boards a few inches more [depending on the variety of your bird], since tushies will extend outwards also, not just conveniently where they should drop! :shifty:

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Q-- do you feel the need to add screws to ends of wood to secure more than just the rope twine? Don't get me wrong--- I ABSOLUTELY LOVE that playpen... :awww:

I think I would have extended the floor boards a few inches more [depending on the variety of your bird], since tushies will extend outwards also, not just conveniently where they should drop! :shifty:
Actually, nothing moves at all even if i violently shake it because they are all screwed in, the rope is mostly for esthetic purposes so it doesn't seem too empty. I don't think ropes will hold large branches steady, especially if a bird bites at them.

I would've extended the floor board if only the door to the room it is in is a bit bigger. I tried to make the stand as big as i can.

Pat H

Real Name
Pat
Actually, nothing moves at all even if i violently shake it because they are all screwed in, the rope is mostly for esthetic purposes so it doesn't seem too empty. I don't think ropes will hold large branches steady, especially if a bird bites at them.

I would've extended the floor board if only the door to the room it is in is a bit bigger. I tried to make the stand as big as i can.
Oh, didn't realize the branches were screwed in-- you thought AND DID everything!!! It's beautiful...
Darn those doors! When we got Abby Cockatoos cage-- it was about 1/2inch TOO LARGE to fit thru the doors... So had to take it apart and rebuild it inside the bird room! Don't look forward to that when/ if we move... Course, I had 13x cages that I had to dismantle for my big move from NV years ago! And smaller travel cages to haul the kids to our new place! 'Somehow' I have forgotten how much 'fun' that was!

Diveks

Walking the driveway
Oh, didn't realize the branches were screwed in-- you thought AND DID everything!!! It's beautiful...
Darn those doors! When we got Abby Cockatoos cage-- it was about 1/2inch TOO LARGE to fit thru the doors... So had to take it apart and rebuild it inside the bird room! Don't look forward to that when/ if we move... Course, I had 13x cages that I had to dismantle for my big move from NV years ago! And smaller travel cages to haul the kids to our new place! 'Somehow' I have forgotten how much 'fun' that was!
Happened to one of my play trees and unfortunately we couldn't take it apart so we just had to leave it in the living room. So after that experience, i went straight to measuring the doors :roflmao:.

Hm dismantling and rebuilding takes up so much work and time. i feel you, I had a large outdoor cage that can't be taken apart so a bunch of people carried it from the moving truck, and over a half wall to the backyard.