• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In need of a travel cage! Asap

Reds

Sitting on the front steps
Hoping someone can help me find a travel cage for my African grey or recommend how I can make one somehow. I leave on short notice tomorrow from Maryland to North Carolina and need a travel cage for my bird to stay in with me at a hotel for a few days! I have no parrot stores around me unfortunately and I’m trying to find one possibly in route from me to North Carolina that I can buy one, anyone know of any stores that carry them? Or possibly anyone between Maryland-north Carolina have one they are willing to sell, sadly I don’t have time to order and have one shipped to me.

thank you in advance!

Reds

I just want to add I do have a transport carrier but it’s not suitable for him to stay in other than short travel.

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
If it's for a few days, can your regular cage go with you?

Gigibirds

Rollerblading along the road
Could you try to make something with a dog crate? Or what exactly do you have in mind, an actual cage but smaller than your regular one, or a thing for transporting him?

Reds

Could you try to make something with a dog crate? Or what exactly do you have in mind, an actual cage but smaller than your regular one, or a thing for transporting him?
Sadly no, my regular cage is too large to travel. I even went to my local petco & petsmart to try to find small cage to buy to take but sadly they are all made for small birds there, bars are too weak for him. I purchased a dog kennel & bought home to try as a last resort but the bars are spread to far apart he would be able to get his head through them.

Reds

This is what I was originally trying to find to purchase. Im open to other ideas. Any recommendations on how to make a dog crate work? The bars are spaced too far apart on all the ones I could find in store.

Attachments

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Are you going to be in hotel with him constantly? If so, maybe a perch tree stand would work.

You have to watch dog crates because of what the bars are made of. Some are toxic.

@Macawnutz any ideas?

Reds

Are you going to be in hotel with him constantly? If so, maybe a perch tree stand would work.

You have to watch dog crates because of what the bars are made of. Some are toxic.

@Macawnutz any ideas?
No, I won’t be. Great thought though. My grey is also young and still learning to stay stationed. He just likes to be and go everywhere
I was worried about it being toxic as well but I’m honestly not sure how to know?

WeasleyLover

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Maddy
Can you get a larger plastic dog crate and drill a hole in the side to screw a perch into? You could put the bowls on the ground near the front and place a toy on the ground next to the perch or something. It wouldn’t be ideal, but maybe better than nothing.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
In a pinch I'd nab an airline approved large cat/dog carrier with a metal door if you're bird isn't an avid chewer, or a cage meant for rodents (it would need escape proofing) like this.

And I don't know if you have the time, but I saw someone screw a piece of a branch to some plywood so the bird had more than a towel to perch on.

Reds

Thanks everyone, I think I am going to have to make a plastic dog crate work and just make some adjustments. I’ll keep a close eye on all parts often, I’ll google once I’m there and see if I can find a store nearby to buy one I’m looking for, otherwise I will be ordering one online in case I have to get up and go again!
Why are larger bird accessories and cages so sparse in stores!? I have no avian stores or pet shops (other than petco or petsmart) within 2 hours of me! No avian boarding around either. is everywhere like this? Or just Maryland? lol

I appreciate all of your ideas!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I personally own a king's cage aluminum, medium. It's probably the Cadillac but I feel safe with it.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
I wish these were bigger, but I have one for a Severe Macaw that'd work in a pinch...

The Birdie Boutique in Durham, NC has a listing for this travel cage...

Birds Cabana in Winston-Salem, NC says they carry cages, but don't have a website.

Good luck!

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
There’s a chain called “Pet Supermarket” that, here in Texas at least, carries a lot of bird supplies including stuff suitable for bigger birds, and they have several locations in North Carolina it looks like. I’ve even seen that travel cage you posted in-store! I know that doesn’t help you NOW though. Safe travels, let us know how the crate works

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
This is what I was originally trying to find to purchase. Im open to other ideas. Any recommendations on how to make a dog crate work? The bars are spaced too far apart on all the ones I could find in store.
I have a cage similar to this. I use it for my cockatiel.......... So, I think it's too small for a Grey to spend any length of time in but okay for car travel.

Sunni Tiel

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rachel
It's similar here, mostly petco's and petsmarts. We do have a local parrot store close by, they're very reliable and friendly. Also have almost anything you need.

I don't own any larger birds so can't help, but good luck!

Reds

I personally own a king's cage aluminum, medium. It's probably the Cadillac but I feel safe with it.
I was looking at those as well to order for in the future, how do you like it? Would a grey be able to stay in it for days? Not in the cage 24/7 of course but out for a few hours then back in?

Reds

I wish these were bigger, but I have one for a Severe Macaw that'd work in a pinch...

The Birdie Boutique in Durham, NC has a listing for this travel cage...

Birds Cabana in Winston-Salem, NC says they carry cages, but don't have a website.

Good luck!
Thanks I’ll search I’ll try to reach out to them

Reds

I have a cage similar to this. I use it for my cockatiel.......... So, I think it's too small for a Grey to spend any length of time in but okay for car travel.
Thanks I was worried about that, however seems like there are not many options for temporary cages. None of them seem compact enough to fit in vehicle but still roomy & strong enough for larger birds

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I was looking at those as well to order for in the future, how do you like it? Would a grey be able to stay in it for days? Not in the cage 24/7 of course but out for a few hours then back in?
Yes, easily. A grey would easily fit inside a medium. I have a large one for my macaw. They're incredibly well built and overall I'm really happy with it, but the parts vibrated like crazy when we went down the highway with ours. So if you plan on road trips with it some cork and felt protectors between the tray and grate will help reduce most of the noise and some newspaper/cardboard to jam in other spots like the door helps immensely. Otherwise the noise is intolerable.

None of them seem compact enough to fit in vehicle but still roomy & strong enough for larger birds
We bought the kings cage carrier and it barely fit in the backseat of the car we had. The large one is a beast! When we went looking for a truck we brought the carrier with us to make sure it would fit inside since we planned on taking some birds on a cross country tip. We wound up buying a RAM crew cab and now have a Jeep JKU after some idjit slammed into our truck sending us into a pole (we were t-boned).