• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

In Depth Look at Atherosclerosis in Birds

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Oh, I forgot :lol:
I do feed nutriberries at bedtime, I switched them to the Senior Nutriberries, she said that was okay.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
@Danita Will you put this thread up as a sticky?

It's a constant fight, isn't it? Just as you think you have found the right combination - something else comes up, i.e. Coco's infection, or something we are feeding them turns out to be harmful. We just keep trying.

Jasper gets vegetables, that always include leafy green - spinach, lettuce, parsley, Swiss Chard - along with Tofu or egg whites or a piece of chicken and cooked quinoa, in the morning. She then goes out in the morning and flies for 1/2 hour. She has access to pellets - Caitec, Nutriberries and monkey food and Zupreem Nut flavored all day. At night she gets bird bread made of the lowest carbohydrate flours I can find, vegetables, and a few dried fruits and Red Palm Oil. About 1/2 teaspoon of Almond butter and a few pine nuts. Unlike Coco, I have a constant problem keeping weight on Jasper and for the last couple of months the Dr. has had me put olive oil on her food for some fat. The Tofu is fat free and high protein. In order to help her digest her food (which she has started having trouble with) she gets Prozyme on all of her meals. She is now getting some high powered probiotics that the Dr. prescribed. Jasper also gets her heart and pain meds (gabapentin and Celebrex), flax, milk thistle and garlic and furosemide and DMG. Every other day she gets 0.2ml of mertazipine for appetite. It's a lot, but she went down to 1000gm not too long ago. She was very weak.

Every time she seems to be doing OK, we get slapped upside the head - but we keep trying

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
@Danita Will you put this thread up as a sticky?

It's a constant fight, isn't it? Just as you think you have found the right combination - something else comes up, i.e. Coco's infection, or something we are feeding them turns out to be harmful. We just keep trying.

Jasper gets vegetables, that always include leafy green - spinach, lettuce, parsley, Swiss Chard - along with Tofu or egg whites or a piece of chicken and cooked quinoa, in the morning. She then goes out in the morning and flies for 1/2 hour. She has access to pellets - Caitec, Nutriberries and monkey food and Zupreem Nut flavored all day. At night she gets bird bread made of the lowest carbohydrate flours I can find, vegetables, and a few dried fruits and Red Palm Oil. About 1/2 teaspoon of Almond butter and a few pine nuts. Unlike Coco, I have a constant problem keeping weight on Jasper and for the last couple of months the Dr. has had me put olive oil on her food for some fat. The Tofu is fat free and high protein. In order to help her digest her food (which she has started having trouble with) she gets Prozyme on all of her meals. She is now getting some high powered probiotics that the Dr. prescribed. Jasper also gets her heart and pain meds (gabapentin and Celebrex), flax, milk thistle and garlic and furosemide and DMG. Every other day she gets 0.2ml of mertazipine for appetite. It's a lot, but she went down to 1000gm not too long ago. She was very weak.

Every time she seems to be doing OK, we get slapped upside the head - but we keep trying

Coco is "fat" as I quote the Doctor.
Maybe that is why her diet is strict? Think that is why?
My M2 is so fussy, he could live on corn, blueberries and carrots. Its a real struggle to get food in him.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Ever since I read the "drop dead" quote in those articles last week, I worry when I check on her! Makes me very diet strict though.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Coco is "fat" as I quote the Doctor.
Maybe that is why her diet is strict? Think that is why?
My M2 is so fussy, he could live on corn, blueberries and carrots. Its a real struggle to get food in him.

Probably so. Jasper has just the opposite problem and stays as skinny as a snake. So we have to be attentive to her heart and atherosclerosis and at the same time try to get weight on her.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Thanks for making this a sticky. Now how do we get members to read it?

suileeka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
No sweet potato! That's a worrying thing to read... I add it to almost everything I cook for them to boost Vitamin A. I guess it is starchy/sugary.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Where do you see no sweet potato in the article?

One medium cooked sweet potato contains approximately: (1)

• 103 calories
  • 23.6 grams carbohydrates
  • 2.3 grams protein
  • 0.2 gram fat
  • 3.8 grams dietary fiber
  • 21,907 international units vitamin A (438 percent DV)
  • 22.3 miligrams vitamin C (37 percent DV)
  • 0.6 milligram manganese (28 percent DV)
  • 0.3 milligram vitamin B6 (16 percent DV)
  • 541 milligrams potassium (15 percent DV)
  • 1 milligram pantothenic acid (10 percent DV)
  • 0.2 milligram copper (9 percent DV)
  • 1.7 milligrams niacin (8 percent DV)
  • 0.1 milligram thiamine (8 percent DV)
  • 30.8 milligrams magnesium (8 percent DV)
Some more good reading on this subect:
http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/silent-killer-atherosclerosis-pet-birds-proceedings

Sometimes the only sign of this disease in a parrot is sudden death. Only a necropsy will tell you for sure.

Last edited:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Where do you see no sweet potato in the article?

One medium cooked sweet potato contains approximately: (1)

• 103 calories
  • 23.6 grams carbohydrates
  • 2.3 grams protein
  • 0.2 gram fat
  • 3.8 grams dietary fiber
  • 21,907 international units vitamin A (438 percent DV)
  • 22.3 miligrams vitamin C (37 percent DV)
  • 0.6 milligram manganese (28 percent DV)
  • 0.3 milligram vitamin B6 (16 percent DV)
  • 541 milligrams potassium (15 percent DV)
  • 1 milligram pantothenic acid (10 percent DV)
  • 0.2 milligram copper (9 percent DV)
  • 1.7 milligrams niacin (8 percent DV)
  • 0.1 milligram thiamine (8 percent DV)
  • 30.8 milligrams magnesium (8 percent DV)
Some more good reading on this subect:
http://veterinarycalendar.dvm360.com/silent-killer-atherosclerosis-pet-birds-proceedings

Sometimes the only sign of this disease in a parrot is sudden death. Only a necropsy will tell you for sure.
I didn't get that from the article, I got that from my vet. :)
Whether or not it is because of her atherosclerosis that is slowing her digestion down, or the fat content. She definitely put a big cross off on that :lol:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cashews....

I just saw a table about nuts & cashews had so many "good things" & were lower in fat (I believe). I can't remember where or what. I can't even remember if it was posted here or I tripped on it researching something but I'm very tired. If I remember I'll post it. Now, I could see how a bird in digestive distress would need to avoid. Danita, I'm so sorry about Coco! But like you said better to know early in this situation.

:sadhug:

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Cashews....

I just saw a table about nuts & cashews had so many "good things" & were lower in fat (I believe). I can't remember where or what. I can't even remember if it was posted here or I tripped on it researching something but I'm very tired. If I remember I'll post it. Now, I could see how a bird in digestive distress would need to avoid. Danita, I'm so sorry about Coco! But like you said better to know early in this situation.

:sadhug:
Thank you!
The Dr gave her a great bill of health yesterday. She is feisty and now had a feather growth explosion!