• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Improper feather growth.

KevinAaron

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin
Hey there, I recently brought home a sun conure. She was 75 days old when I brought her home (unweaned). I didn't know that they shouldn't be selling unweaned birds to new bird owners. I was really scared at first and I read a lot of articles and spoke to online vets about how to hand feed the bird and I finally did and she's well and good. She's about 4.5 months old to be exact. Her name is Evie. She weighs 98 grams. I noticed that she didn't have much feathers under her wing area. But then since she was so tiny and full of down feathers here and there, I thought they'll eventually grow. Probably they still will grow I don't know that's why I'm here. She's 4.5 months old and she is still sparsely feathered in that area and I'm a little concerned and worried. She started shedding down feathers. It's too young to be molting. She's not plucking but she is preening. But apart from that she is a very active bird. Doesn't make much noise but she eats healthy and plays a lot amd flied around the house all the time. Can someone tell me if this is normal or is it some sort of an infection or nutrition deficiency? I believe the down feathers she's shedding is from that area and that's why you can see small bald spots here and there. Please help.

Attachments

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
I agree with @Hankmacaw, the "wing pits" tend to be lighter/less dense in feathering. So it probably isn't a concern, since her behavior is normal. I'm not sure at what age they have their first molt (my youngest birds are 8 years old...those baby days are gone!).

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Arm pits aren’t heavily feathered. And baby feathers are not the best indicators of adult plumage- baby feathers get damaged quite a bit in the feeding/weaning process especially if the human is a messy handfeeder. So many babies do look a bit worn until their first molt.

KevinAaron

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin
Thank you so much you guys, feeling a lot relieved. This seemed concerning after I noticed her shedding some down feathers, and I asked a person on Instagram and they said she could be balding and told me to monitor closely. I personally think she isn't balding or plucking. I really hope not, cause the feathers there was always sparse since the day I brought her home. She's completely happy and she's currently on 60% zupreem fruit blend and 40% fruits, veggies, nuts and seeds. I will be adding Harrison's high potency fine tomorrow to see if she likes it. She did have feather mites when I brought her, and the breeder recommended SCATT ( Vetafarm ) 2 drops behind her head. And since then there isn't a single mite on her feathers. Just putting it here for information.

KevinAaron

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin
I agree with @Hankmacaw, the "wing pits" tend to be lighter/less dense in feathering. So it probably isn't a concern, since her behavior is normal. I'm not sure at what age they have their first molt (my youngest birds are 8 years old...those baby days are gone!).
Haha these baby days are indeed beautiful but also a little scary. Really grateful for this community. Also, I read they sometimes start their first molt as early as 5 months and as late as 12 months. I don't know, but I am noticing few down feathers at the bottom of the cage and inside her hut everyday. Maybe it's a soft molt? Not sure.

KevinAaron

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin
Arm pits aren’t heavily feathered. And baby feathers are not the best indicators of adult plumage- baby feathers get damaged quite a bit in the feeding/weaning process especially if the human is a messy handfeeder. So many babies do look a bit worn until their first molt.
Wow didn't know that. I was quite a messy handfeeder but then I got used to it after a few weeks and I was way better. I didn't physically go for work the whole month just to take care of her. So yeah, really looking forward for her first molt. Thanks for the information.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Because this bird has already had a case of feather mites so young, the fact that you’re getting so much particulate… honestly you should schedule a vet visit.

KevinAaron

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin
Because this bird has already had a case of feather mites so young, the fact that you’re getting so much particulate… honestly you should schedule a vet visit.
There are no vets in my city, I only consult online vets. I'll give that a try again. I closely inspected her pit area again and I found these. Are these new pin feathers or?

Attachments

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
She does look like she is having new growth coming in. Birds are more than just feathers though. They are susceptible to skin related issues, as much as anything else that has skin, and if you’re seeing flakies and chunks then you’re going to want to check that out. Does she bathe regularly?

KevinAaron

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin
I actually saw a lot more pin feathers on her chest and belly area. I thought they'd protrude outside visibly but then when I blew into her feathers, I saw a lot of pin feathers. Some sheaths were open and the feathers were out, and some are still pin feathers. Hopefully I think she's just molting. I'll still consult an online vet cause it's early to be molting right? She's just 5 months old. They usually start at 8-10 months is what I've heard. And yes, she takes baths. Once a week.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
And yes, she takes baths. Once a week.
I don't have experience with conures, but for my plumhead I offer him baths everyday during a molt. Maybe increasing baths during this time will help her feel more comfortable.

KevinAaron

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin
I don't have experience with conures, but for my plumhead I offer him baths everyday during a molt. Maybe increasing baths during this time will help her feel more comfortable.
Thanks, yeah it makes sense. I just gave her a bath. They really calm down after shower don't they? Haha. I'll offer her bath every other day. She does bite a lot these days, not very hard but a little tense than usual.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Looks like some new down feathers to me.

KevinAaron

Moving in
Real Name
Kevin
Looks like some new down feathers to me.
There are new down feathers too? Didn't think of that. Maybe yeah since they're too soft. Also, if there are a few pin feathers, does that mean they're molting all over and there'll be more pin feathers coming or they're just replacing some of it and not a complete molt?