• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

IMPORTANT QUESTION

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
I had NO CHOICE but to spray my condo with air freshener for the only time, EVER. I put my bird next to an open window (screens). Can 1 time hurt my bird ? Im freaked out and a little angry at both the realtor and myself. I have the doors and windows open now and would be very grateful for some reassurance. He is in his cage and I have all the windows open and will turn on the ceiling fans to blast this smell out of my house.

I plan on telling the realtor NEVER to show up at my house unexpected. Im pissed. Did I just hurt my baby ?????? :extremeanger::extremeanger::extremeanger:

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Monitor his behavior and watch for any breathing issues. Let the room air out. If there is a safe place to move your bird while the air freshener dissapates that would be best. If not, keep him close to a window and away from any areas with concentrated scent.

In most cases, symptoms appear quickly after exposure, so if he is still doing okay in 24 hours, you are probably in the clear. I am so sorry this happened to you and your bird. I hope everything works out. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to minimize the potential damage.

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
Monitor his behavior and watch for any breathing issues. Let the room air out. If there is a safe place to move your bird while the air freshener dissapates that would be best. If not, keep him close to a window and away from any areas with concentrated scent.

In most cases, symptoms appear quickly after exposure, so if he is still doing okay in 24 hours, you are probably in the clear. I am so sorry this happened to you and your bird. I hope everything works out. It sounds like you are doing everything you can to minimize the potential damage.
That is EXACTLY what Im doing. He is in front of a window in a room that was not sprayed. I have all windows, doors and ceiling fans open and on. The bedroom where he sleeps will air out pretty quickly as I put a box fan in the window along with ceiling fans. I am so mad at myself. I thought if I closed him off while I showed my condo UNEXPECTEDLY with no notice it would be ok but the house did not clear out the scent and now my poor baby is trapped inside a cage in front of a window and probably very mad at me but I cant risk his life. I wont.

This is all my fault and I cant stop crying at my stupidity. I never use scents around my bird but I got him Thanksgiving and just happened to have a can. I cant stop crying and the worry is just too much. Im going to give the bedroom a few hours to air out then move his cage in there. I think. I dont know. Right now he is NOT exposed to any scent, maybe I should just sleep out there with him. UUUUUUGGGGGGHHHH.

I cant believe with all my years of experience I did this.

Sparkles!

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would have let the realtor show it, but left a handwritten note on the table saying “Sorry smells like fart. It was Taco night yesterday.” and just not sprayed, but I’m cranky like that around my critters.

What’s done is done. Monitor closely.

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
I would have let the realtor show it, but left a handwritten note on the table saying “Sorry smells like fart. It was Taco night yesterday.” and just not sprayed, but I’m cranky like that around my critters.

What’s done is done. Monitor closely.
I dont care about potential clients or realtors anymore. They can just deal with it. A Parrot lives here. There will be Poop. This will NEVER happen again. Worst thing, the buyer KNEW she couldnt walk up stairs so the realtor just dangled an imaginary carrot of a cash buyer. The master bedroom is dissipating and Mango is closed off from the scent. So its just a matter of walking him QUICKLY thru the living room. Stupid is as stupid does, I now qualify.

Worst thing is, my house doesnt smell. I was just not thinking as they stood at my front door.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
We all make mistakes. We are only human, after all.

It sounds like you acted swiftly to correct the issue and minimize exposure. Your bird is breathing clean air now and the air freshener will clear out soon. It doesn't sound like he is showing signs of respiratory distress, so chances are good that he will be just fine with no harm done.

Don't beat yourself up too much. Our houses are full of hidden dangers. We all try to do the best we can for our feather babies, but none of us are perfect.

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
We all make mistakes. We are only human, after all.

It sounds like you acted swiftly to correct the issue and minimize exposure. Your bird is breathing clean air now and the air freshener will clear out soon. It doesn't sound like he is showing signs of respiratory distress, so chances are good that he will be just fine with no harm done.

Don't beat yourself up too much. Our houses are full of hidden dangers. We all try to do the best we can for our feather babies, but none of us are perfect.

He is actually singing up a cantata right now. He is completely closed off of the house. I am going out there now to sit with him and beg forgiveness. I might even let him preen the giant hair monster.

Shannan

Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
Glad Mango is alright. FYI When selling a house and they pull an unexpected visitor, then just pop a batch of cookies in the oven and put out a few cinnamon sticks in the bathroom and you are good to go. Nothing says this is a great home than homemade cookies cooling on the stove as they come in!

SumitaSinh

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
UPDATE: Mango is fine. I on the other hand, could use a Valium.

Thank you all for holding my emotional hand :heart2:
Totally understand your feelings...have gone through similar situation...Big hug

dutchlings

Meeting neighbors
Glad to hear Mango is fine!

When we got Blaze, we asked them to hang on to him for an extra week so we could have some time to birdproof some stuff and unplug air fresheners and let the house air out. We were told the air freshener in a small amount would be no problem, but wanted to play it safe just in case.

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
Glad to hear Mango is fine!

When we got Blaze, we asked them to hang on to him for an extra week so we could have some time to birdproof some stuff and unplug air fresheners and let the house air out. We were told the air freshener in a small amount would be no problem, but wanted to play it safe just in case.

Part of me knew that I could air out the house and he would be fine but I wasn't taking any chances. Considering it was by my own hand that was chance enough.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Maybe throw out the air freshener so this never ever happens again?

So many houses I looked at used air freshener before I walked through- I never even looked at those houses properly because I couldn’t breathe clearly enough to feel comfortable… in my mind it’s only used to cover something really gross like dead body or dog poop.
I honestly can’t stand air freshener, chemical scents, perfumes, many mens spray deodorants etc- they don’t smell nice at all and they really irritate my sinuses. I actually find them to be rather offensive- hate to think how it feels for a bird to breathe this chemical stink in.

You could maybe make up your own safe air freshener- a vinegar, water and orange peel, a cinnamon water and orange peel, a rosemary or sweet basil infused water type of air freshener… safe as anything to use for both birds and humans alike.

WBCmom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Karen
Maybe throw out the air freshener so this never ever happens again?

So many houses I looked at used air freshener before I walked through- I never even looked at those houses properly because I couldn’t breathe clearly enough to feel comfortable… in my mind it’s only used to cover something really gross like dead body or dog poop.
I honestly can’t stand air freshener, chemical scents, perfumes, many mens spray deodorants etc- they don’t smell nice at all and they really irritate my sinuses. I actually find them to be rather offensive- hate to think how it feels for a bird to breathe this chemical stink in.

You could maybe make up your own safe air freshener- a vinegar, water and orange peel, a cinnamon water and orange peel, a rosemary or sweet basil infused water type of air freshener… safe as anything to use for both birds and humans alike.

Already done. I dont use it anyway, I got it when I bought my condo bc of previous smoke smell. New attitude, if my house bothers you....dont come in.