• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Imping

Icey

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I was wondering if anyone has tried this on their birds' wings and if it was effective.
Since Dollys wings have been damaged so badly I was seeing if there was anything to help her. She wants to fly so bad and will sit daily flapping her (half)wings wanting to take off.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
There was recently an article in the Australian Parrot Society magazine about successful applications. It helps bird who may have had a badly done clip, such as a single wing, or birds who are recovering from an injury. It helps even out the birds so they may balance more easily which improves their confidence.

There seemed to be mixed success on birds who were clipped at a young age. These birds may have had a fearful event which discouraged them from trying to fly, super sad.

More needs to be done to protect birds from unnecessary clipping.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Dollys wings are both mangled. We think a dog may have got a hold of her. It's so sad seeing her want to fly but not able to.
Then there's Frankie with a full set of wings who won't even try. Grrr
That may be a good thing for hubby though lol

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
I would do Maui again if I had too. I wouldn't do a bird that was able to molt and grow them back without breaking.

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
Thank you @expressmailtome @Macawnutz
For the information. Sarah I read through your thread but it stopped on page 4 the day of the actual imping being done. I will look for the continuation.
The more I read about the process I'm not sure if it would work on Dolly as her wings are all wirey-like. They would need to be straightened out before the imping wouldn't they?
She's in her snuggle hut right now but at lunchtime I will try to post some pictures.