• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm worried about bonding with my red bellied parrot

Status
Not open for further replies.

renaelock

Strolling the yard
I have had my rbp for about 1 month so far and we have a routine set up but he never seems to talk to me and when I talk to him he just looks at me evil like. My problem is, when my dad comes GeoG gets all excited and talks and climbs and even steps up to my dad (I have to use a rope toy to get him to step up because he threatens to bite me). I was told that GeoG like females better but it seems that he likes men more. I really like him and want to keep him, but right now am wondering if he would be happier with a male human owner. any tips would be great. I just want whats best for him, I did plan on keeping him the next 20 years but if he's happier with someone else, I think it would be selfish to keep him...wouldn't it??

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
He obviously has "chosen" your dad but you can still be great friends. 1 month is just a spec in time for him. Give it time and keep working on that trust. TIME and patience my dear. :)

renaelock

Strolling the yard
Thanks for your reply. I am trying to be patient, but I just get so flustered when my dad comes over and GeoG is flirting with him. One day, we will be besties hopefully.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Give him/her time....TRUST take time for you to earn it from them....don't worry about how he/she reacts to your dad....:hug8:

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
as everyone has said give him time thanks for sharing

Shade

Crazy for Pois!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natacha
I'll agree with everyone and say it takes time.

When I first got my Red-bellied in March 2008, he had a definite preference for men (his previous owner was a man and his ex-wife couldn't care less about Joey and I think he knew this...)

Any men could basically do things with Joey I could not try without getting a bite. But I worked with him on trust. A year later he was a different bird. He'll come and see as much as he'll go to my boyfriend and seems to want me to be the one to scratch his head (I guess I do a better job than my SO ;) ). He'll cuddle with me as well. It just took time and work and patience.

renaelock

Strolling the yard
Thanks for all of your replies. Shade, thanks for sharing your story with me, and I love your picture under your name! I will be patient and watch my GeoG slowly bloom into a wonderful friend!

Status
Not open for further replies.