• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent I'm starting to think something is really wrong

RJ Noodle

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Zetra
I know exactly how you feel, Pigster. YOU know something is off with YOUR bird so when people offer support and say its prob nothing, you want to believe them and just go with that, but your gut still has doubts. Try not to worry and just give them a call tomorrow, just to alleviate your fears. Cornell is one of the best out there so you're lucky to be so close. Praying for E and you, Lil Piggy :hug8:

GuineaPigster

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
If she's keeping normal weight then it is at least not anything urgent.
I think she's actually gained weight if anything. Her keel is surrounded by fat and muscle, and it is feelable but not sharp. She's def. Gained since igot her! Poor girl had one heck of a keel. :(

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
I know exactly how you feel, Pigster. YOU know something is off with YOUR bird so when people offer support and say its prob nothing, you
want to believe them and just go with that, but your
gut still has doubts. Try not to worry and just give
them a call tomorrow, just to alleviate your fears.
Cornell is one of the best out there so you're lucky
to be so close. Praying for E and you, Lil Piggy
:hug8:
Thank you so much! Oftentimes I'll see something out of the ordinary with them, and jump to the conclusion theyre dying. She's def. Not, but I am going to give them a call.
If it doesn't happen again, it's probably just a rare occurrence.
Thanks again, RJN!!!! Hugs:) (my iPod doesn't let me use the little faces and such, lol)

Bailey

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bailey
I think all parrots, if not all birds in general, have Uropygial Glands. :)

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Is it the preening gland? Or do budgies have them :shrug:
Lol, I don't think so because the vets didnt say anything about that- just that it wasn't there normally.
That, or she's a marvel in that she's the only budgie with a preening gland. :)

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
A "wart" isn't normal for a bird. I'd try another vet if yours said that a growth is a wart and not to be worried.

Crazy4parrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
María
How old is she? Young birds (young birds have a very sharp keel bone) after 9-10 months of age it will be less sharp so if she is young that could be it. Kiwi is only 7 months old and she got a very sharp keel bone... While Baylee (2 years old) is not sharp and you can feel muscle around it and you can tell that Baylee's keel bone its not really sharp. Its part of growing up, her body is maturing. This was explained to me by Baylee's vet, when i first got Kiwi.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you everybirdy. :)
She is 4 years old. The reason her keel was sharp was because she rarely got fed more than once a week before I adopted her.
@Bridgette
I took her to Cornell. I apologize, because it seems I am phrasing this wrong. She was thoroughly examined, got blood work and an ultrasound.
Basically, it's a tiny benign lump that is on the skin, so not internal.
It hasn't grown, and the vets have given the all clear. :)

itzmered

Welcome to Parrotdise
Super Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chris
did they do a biopsy?

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hope Ebenhard is doing well. I've jumped to conclusions, too, sometimes about the health of my birds. Sometimes I'm right and sometimes I'm wrong but best to rule out any problems and sounds as if you have done what you can, at this point, by taking her to the vet as well as keeping a close eye on her.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
The shuffling sounds like a hormonal episode. She's a female tiel? How old is she? When you say 'wheezing', do you mean actual labored breathing, or do you mean just making an odd sound you have not heard before? If a bird is wheezing, you should be able to hold her up to your ear and hear it. How big is this skin tag? I think a vet visit is warranted because if you are not sure, a good avian vet can explain or calm your fears. Or if there really is a problem, a course of action can be started. A second opinion would not hurt. Have you searched around for recommended avian vets in your area and gotten feedback from others? I am hoping it is nothing serious and sending you good energy. :hug8:

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
Thank you very much, Carole and IamWhoIam. :)
So sorry, I really left out tons of info.
She's a female budgie. About 4 years old.
The skin tag is smaller than a lentil. I have had several vets, and several bad experiences, so now we use Cornell, and I'm very happy with them.
The shuffling was basically lifting her winds up just a bit and random intervals, and dropping it. Not the thing where they open their wings up, or anything I've seen.
E was sitting in a happy hut (don't worry, I only use it supervised) eating millet. A few seconds later, she made 3 breaths worth of a ''sigh'' noise. Then it stopped.
I'm starting to think, once I take a step back, that perhaps these 3 incidents are not related.

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Lol, I don't think so because the vets didnt say anything about that- just that it wasn't there normally.
That, or she's a marvel in that she's the only budgie with a preening gland. :)
All birds have a preen gland. It'll be just above the base of her tail. It's what helps birds keep their feathers in good shape.

GuineaPigster

Avenue Spotlight Award
All birds have a preen gland. It'll be just above the base of her tail. It's what helps birds keep their feathers in good shape.
Should I be able to feel it?

Milo

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jenny
Should I be able to feel it?
You may be able to, if you can it's a very small bump. Most of the time you'll see one or two feathers growing out of it. Generally if it's really prominent that means there's something wrong with it, impaction or abscesses can make it seem huge!

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Not true. ;)
The gland is invariably present at embryonic stages, whereas it can be vestigial in adults of certain orders, families, genera and species. Some or all species in at least nine families of birds lack a uropygial gland, mostly the ones unable to fly or the ones that produces powder down for feather maintenance.[2] These include kiwis (Apterygidae), emu (Dromaiidae), ostriches (Struthionidae), rheas (Rheidae), cassowaries (Casuariidae), mesites (Mesitornithidae), bustards (Otididae), pigeons and doves (Columbidae), Amazon parrots (Psittacidae), frogmouths (Podargidae), and woodpeckers (Picidae).[1][3][4][5] These birds typically find other means to stay clean and dry, such as taking a dust bath. See also powder down. Researchers have been unable to correlate the presence or absence of the uropygial gland with factors such as distribution, climate, ecology, or flightlessness.
Taken from:Uropygial gland - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bridgette

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Bridgette
I'm not quite sure why you posted this, then.

You originally said you were worried. Now you are saying you've been to the vet and you're not concerned.

Personally, if my bird had something growing out of his butt, I wouldn't just take a vet's word that it is fine. I would want tests run.

bird help

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Raigan
o don't think that I would be to worried about it if she is pooping and still eating she will probably be fine but what I would do is take the same type of pellet that she swallowed and stick it is water and just let is it sit there and see if it eventually dissolves. if it dose she is probably fine if it doesn't I would keep a close eye on her