• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm sorry Chilly, didn't mean to laugh.

TheOddFlock

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I took matters into my own hands and groomed Chilly. I trimmed his fur...in a way, trimmed his nails, tried to brush his teeth, and gave him a bath. He then in turn gave me and the whole bathroom a bath.

Anyway, I forgot that I had to trim against the flow of fur until about half way through.
Yep, looks wrong.
His right side looks weird, uneven.
His left side looks much better until you reach the head because cutting the fur around his face is when I realized I was doing it wrong.
I had to stop, I couldn't make things better or worse. He looks pretty messed up now, and the fur on his belly and around his neck hasn't been trimmed much because I don't entirely trust myself.

To top it all off, I didn't use a proper grooming tool. The kit still hasn't arrived and it has missed so many delivery dates that Amazon won't give me another expected date.
I used a pair of scissors.
Note to self, never use scissors again.

I have seen lots of photos online of people grooming their dogs themselves and they are usually much worse. At least Chilly doesn't have bald patches! I wouldn't trim his fur too short because he has a double coat.

Look at him. What have I done?
ok, doesn't look too too bad. 20200608_220739.jpg
20200608_220746.jpg
20200608_220813.jpg
Feels weird. When petting him on his right side you can feel how uneven it is.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I think it looks kind of like llama wool :D

Monaco

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
Is that a first try? It's pretty good. It will help to brush backwards and then you can scissor the uneven bits. 3d scissoring takes some practice, but turns out really well for the double coats (for my purposes.)

Imogena

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Joanna
:rofl: Sorry, sorry, I'm not laughing at the look of your Chilly. He is so cute and beautiful. But his face on the first picture. It is so great. Tells it all like: I love you, but don't do that again.
He is such a cute dog. I love him.

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
I fixed him up a bit this morning after finding lots of long strands that I had somehow missed and fixed his left hind leg because that was really long compared to the rest of him.

Reactions: Ali

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Practice makes perfect! No matter how uneven he's still a cutie pie! I'll bet he feels better too. There's nothing like loving hands when being groomed. I've never trusted groomers from long ago when I had a german shorthaired pointer. I took him to a groomer to get a bath and stayed there with him. She left him for a minute to answer the phone... his collar was hooked to a short leash which was attached to the wall above the bath and I saw him try to get out and fall in the tub. He injured his shoulder and that was it for me. I've never had the first grooming lesson but in time I learned to do a good job on a standard poodle we had after the pointer passed away. I'll preface this by saying... I'll never own another large dog that needs grooming again. It's a LOT of work! It took me six hours to brush, bathe, blow dry and trim this bad boy.... and touch ups the following day..

Handsomejess1.jpg

Believe me.. he could get pretty bushy between grooming... in this photo this was the longest he had gone between one of my many grooming sessions with him. ( Hubby built the grooming table for me.. I'll bet it weighed 300 lbs... a bear to push out to the driveway!)

Grooming table.JPG

CrzyCavLdy

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Erin
Not bad for a beginner! Don't worry about the lines, they will fade ^_^ CLippers with a guide comb would be the easiest way for your cutie-pie, there will still be lines for a bit! Just put music notes on him XD

TheOddFlock

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Melissa
Decided that it must have been a scam or something. Can't get in contact with the seller, so I bought a kit from petsmart.
I will be returning it due to it getting very hot within just minutes of using it, and the fact that it kept getting stuck and pulling on Chilly's fur (I need a better one to get through his fur) but I managed to make him look better. I didn't do much around his neck because the clippers kept pulling his fur and it probably hurt, I'll fix it when I get the better clippers.
20200615_145145.jpg 20200615_145142.jpg

Last edited: