• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

I'm running in circles

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hi everyone,

Sorry to be posting so much and asking questions here but this is literally the only avenue I have for bird-related help and advice.

I feel like I'm going round in circles with Preeno's health. She's been to the vet twice already and now I'm told she needs to get checked again.

She was treated for crop infection (bacterial and fungal) and air sac mites (2 doses of ivermectin), with an additional 5 days of Nystatin. During her second vet trip she was more active and budgie-like so the vet said it could just be a behavioural thing and to observe her. I called back the next day to say she's still showing symptoms, hence the additional 5 days of Nystatin.

I updated her after the extra 5 days today and she said it could just be behavioural seeing as Preeno has been doing well since her medicating. I felt relieved until this afternoon I observed this. I heard her make some strange quiet chirps before her regurgitating cough started. She was back to normal after. I am wondering if it's because she was near the AC and it irritated her.

I sent the video to the vet and she said Preeno needs to be checked and she's in next week.

I don't really know how to feel now. I'm trying to be positive that the vet didn't say she needs urgent attention now and can go back in a week, which gives me time to observe her. At the same time I'm just uneasy knowing she's still not well and maybe it's because I didn't medicate her well (it was my first time and it really was a struggle).

Any advice on what to do? I know the most obvious thing is to take her to the vet.

Kiwi & Co.

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
This is a perfect example of a bird regurgitating for it's own reflection. Hide the mirror, it can create a whole bucket load of behavioural problems.

clarousel

This is a perfect example of a bird regurgitating for it's own reflection. Hide the mirror, it can create a whole bucket load of behavioural problems.
Yeah I'm going to but she does it without the mirror too. That's the first I've seen her done it at the mirror.

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Mine regurgitate for their own shadows. It's nothing out of the ordinary, I believe they're just rehearsing for adult life and they do grow out of it - mostly. The problem with a mirror is they see it as another bird and often form bonds with them, an undesired behaviour as it takes away from your own bond. It's also unhealthy as their offering goes on the mirror and they eat it back off.

clarousel

Mine regurgitate for their own shadows. It's nothing out of the ordinary, I believe they're just rehearsing for adult life and they do grow out of it - mostly. The problem with a mirror is they see it as another bird and often form bonds with them, an undesired behaviour as it takes away from your own bond. It's also unhealthy as their offering goes on the mirror and they eat it back off.
Oh wow shadows! Yeah I'm gonna try draping a huge blanket tomorrow as the mirror is tall.

She never regurgitates anything up and recently it's more 'coughs' than the regurgitating. It also usually happens late in the night or early in the mornings.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Did you vet diagnose the crop infection by doing a gram stain? They swab the crop and then smear the q tip on to a slide and look at it under a microscope. Yeast and or bacteria can be seen if it is there. Nystatin is not really an antibiotic rather it is an anti fungal used to treat candida (yeast).

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think I see her adjusting her crop (the wide yawns she does) and regurgitation for her reflection. As @Ripshod says, anything can trigger it - I've heard of a parrotlet regurgitating for a washing up sponge! However, a mirror does seem to focus their attentions because they think it's another bird, who is of course doing it back to them. I would cover the mirror and watch to see if there's anything else that triggers regurgitation e.g. a toy or other object. If there is, remove it.

It's also important to check your own reaction to it. Don't make a fuss of her or give her attention for regurgitating, otherwise you're rewarding the behaviour. Leia has started head-bobbing while on my shoulder a couple of times, and I just gently get her to step up and put her down on a perch and tell her that I see her as a friend.

I would also be interested in whether she's had a crop swab and been tested for a yeast infection.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
and put her down on a perch and tell her that I see her as a friend.
:lol:

anything can trigger it - I've heard of a parrotlet regurgitating for a washing up sponge!
My youngest lovebird (5 months old) has just started (a few days ago) regurgitating onto the new boing.
My eldest regurgitates on a colourful wooden toy - he has a few, and he´s not picky, as long as it is wooden and colourful.

clarousel

No swab was done because she said it could cause damage as she's so small. But she did say if she didn't get better that may have to be done or even an xray.

She also had Metrogyl for antibiotics.

During the second visit, the vet said her crop felt nice and soft hence she wasn't too worried.

I don't fuss when she does but it seems like she's struggling with something. It's not always this regurgitation behaviour, most of the time it's like a few short 'coughs'. Does regurgitation have that noise though?

I just got woken up by her 'coughing' and it's completely dark so I'm not sure if there was a trigger or she's actually trying to get something out.

clarousel

Speaking of mirrors, the stainless steel bowls I use are reflective so Preeno goes for that too when I have the bowls out.

I leave them out when she's out of the cage sometimes cause she doesn't realise food is back in the cage. Should I stop leaving them out?

clarousel

Hi guys, sorry to ask again.

I'm gonna take Preeno to the vet on Wednesday (not able to take time off work any earlier). I'll request for the crop gram stain. Is there anything else I should ask to be done? Her poop has been checked before.

I must say Preeno is much better than before her meds in terms of appetite and activity level. Her poop is also healthy looking. I know birds can hide their illnesses so I'm not assuming she's all well because she's still doing the regurgitation coughs (not in front of the mirror which is now covered up).

Is there anything I should/can do for her from now till the trip to the vet?