• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Im not a breeder i just have a question.

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
Just an added note since I recently talked with the vet's office. They recommend adding emeraid into the formula because they think it doesn't contain all the nutrients in the perfect amounts. Emeraid would give them a boost of Omegas that could help during development.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Just an added note since I recently talked with the vet's office. They recommend adding emeraid into the formula because they think it doesn't contain all the nutrients in the perfect amounts. Emeraid would give them a boost of Omegas that could help during development.
Emeraid, I believe is only available from a vet.

Changing formulas can upset their digestion but if you have nothing else then you will need to do it. Also she may notice that they don't eat as much or as willingly at first because it tastes different. She can mix the two together if needed to make it an easier transitions. For instance mix them 50/50 and then 60/40 and then 80/20 and so forth depending on how much of the old formula is available.

All that being said, I had two baby caiques with critical digestive problems and over two weeks we adjusted their feed two times, not because it is ideal but because we needed to switch up the formula to meet their current needs so while it is not ideal, taking care of the bird and making sure they get the nutrition they need is most important.

I would watch them closely to make sure they are digesting the new food properly. If she notices a change then she can address that as it happens. Most likely the change will be a minor issue and nothing serious or it may not create any problems.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Just a thought.... any chance of contacting the manufacture and see if they might still have a bag or two kicking around in a back corner somewhere?

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
I have used both.

The have different digestion rates is my main concern. Ideally formula should be mixed gradually to transition. She will notice the consistency is different- Kaytee is a bit smoother but interestingly enough has a slower digestion rate. The feces will change- the flavors are extremely different. All in, I prefer Tropican to Kaytee (and Intune to either of them).
Thank you for this. Would intune be a better option if we could find and get it quickly. Would the digestive rate be more similar than tropican to kaytee?

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
Just a thought.... any chance of contacting the manufacture and see if they might still have a bag or two kicking around in a back corner somewhere?
I think the issue is getting it in time. Where we are its not available in stores anymore and she needs it asap.

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
Please keep in mind I have no idea what emeraid is but ive recently started doing research into supplment formulas and found something called the missing link avian supplment formula. Is that simular and or would you recommend it?

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Corn is the main ingredient in one brand
Wheat in another
Rice in another....

But I see 2 day delivery on tropican from amazon?

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
The main thing is to get them formula. The only issue is that they get used to one and it can temporarily upset their digestion which for a rapidly growing baby can cause issues. The main issue is a slow down of the crop. A minor and temporary slow down is not a big deal and most breeders will know how to deal with this. If the slow down worsens then it can be more serious.

As I mentioned before though my vet had me constantly adjusting how and what I fed when my babies had slow crop because you still have to feed them even though they are having a problem so each time you feed them you risk making it worse so you have to constantly monitor what you are giving hoping they will get what they need and get a little better and not a little worse. The only reason I bring this up is that changing food is probably a minor risk though it is not recommended so if you can't find the same food don't stress to much just do the best you can. Most likely it will not be a big issue. I think Kaytee has basic instructions on the bag for changing formula.

Finally, maybe I missed it how developed are the babies, like how old, how many feathers, are their eyes open are the flying yet? Older babies who are eating other foods will likely be less sensitive but also perhaps more picky about the flavor. Younger babies are likely to gobble anything down but be more sensitive to a change.

Do worry to much just keep a close eye on them.

P.S.: By "you" I mean your friend .

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
Corn is the main ingredient in one brand
Wheat in another
Rice in another....

But I see 2 day delivery on tropican from amazon?
Not where we live it wouldn't be here untill April 10th at the earliest unfortunately

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
The main thing is to get them formula. The only issue is that they get used to one and it can temporarily upset their digestion which for a rapidly growing baby can cause issues. The main issue is a slow down of the crop. A minor and temporary slow down is not a big deal and most breeders will know how to deal with this. If the slow down worsens then it can be more serious.

As I mentioned before though my vet had me constantly adjusting how and what I fed when my babies had slow crop because you still have to feed them even though they are having a problem so each time you feed them you risk making it worse so you have to constantly monitor what you are giving hoping they will get what they need and get a little better and not a little worse. The only reason I bring this up is that changing food is probably a minor risk though it is not recommended so if you can't find the same food don't stress to much just do the best you can. Most likely it will not be a big issue. I think Kaytee has basic instructions on the bag for changing formula.

Finally, maybe I missed it how developed are the babies, like how old, how many feathers, are their eyes open are the flying yet? Older babies who are eating other foods will likely be less sensitive but also perhaps more picky about the flavor. Younger babies are likely to gobble anything down but be more sensitive to a change.

Do worry to much just keep a close eye on them.

P.S.: By "you" I mean your friend .
I think she said they are 3 almost 4 weeks.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My friend has been handfeeding quakers for 10 plus years and the handfeeding formula she used is now unavailable. My question is...if her babies went from one formula straight to another without a slow interdiction.. Is that harmful in any way to the babies? (Not sure that's what shes planning but I'm curious and she's asleep so here I am lol)
If I have to switch formulas, I usually do it gradually. If I had to switch quickly due to the current world situation, I'd feed the formula just a bit thinner than usual and/or smaller more frequent meals for the first couple of days. Just to make sure they don't get slow crop all of a sudden with a huge amount of formula in there to clear.

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
If I have to switch formulas, I usually do it gradually. If I had to switch quickly due to the current world situation, I'd feed the formula just a bit thinner than usual and/or smaller more frequent meals for the first couple of days. Just to make sure they don't get slow crop all of a sudden with a huge amount of formula in there to clear.
Thank you :)

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Yes this is exactly what I wanted to say but I could not figure out how to say it clearly and concisely.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
Update: I went to 4 avian vets near me and found the same formula at the LAST one within 100 miles of me!! Drove around all day but I'm so happy I was able to find the correct one!
That is great news. Now that she will have both if she runs low she can either get more or switch over gradually.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Update: I went to 4 avian vets near me and found the same formula at the LAST one within 100 miles of me!! Drove around all day but I'm so happy I was able to find the correct one!
Lucky you again!!!!

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
That is great news. Now that she will have both if she runs low she can either get more or switch over gradually.
I got 4.4 pounds of it so I hope she'll be good for awhile!