• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Im not a breeder i just have a question.

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
My friend has been handfeeding quakers for 10 plus years and the handfeeding formula she used is now unavailable. My question is...if her babies went from one formula straight to another without a slow interdiction.. Is that harmful in any way to the babies? (Not sure that's what shes planning but I'm curious and she's asleep so here I am lol)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
I should say the main reason I am asking is because I'm thinking about homing one of these babies :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Is there absolutely none of the other formula available? What are the brands..by name specifically.

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
The one she says she uses is unavailable thats all I know and shes switching to kaytee.

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
Looking back on texts she was using tropican? Originaly to shes switching to kaytee

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
The one she says she uses is unavailable thats all I know and shes switching to kaytee.
Is there any left in the bag she was using for feeding now?

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
Sha ordered the new formula today and she said it will be there in time for the night time feedings. Thats why I believe shes making a straight switch. Is that harmful to the babies?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Tropican formula ingredients:
  • Hagen Tropican Hand Feeding Formula

Hagen Tropican Hand Feeding Formula

Ground corn, soybean meal, corn gluten meal, ground wheat, ground brown rice, ground dehulled sunflower seeds, ground dehulled peanuts, sugar, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dicalcium phosphate, calcium carbonate, dried yeast, ground flaxseed, lecithin, dried beet pulp, dried kelp, oat groats, L-lysine, choline chloride, DL-methionine, biotin, vitamin E supplement, niacin, calcium L-ascorbyl-2-monophosphate, zinc oxide, manganous oxide, d-calcium pantothenate, vitamin B12 supplement, rosemary extract, beta-carotene, copper sulfate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, thiamine mononitrate, inositol, folic acid, vitamin A supplement, calcium iodate, sodium selenite, vitamin D3 supplement.

Crude protein 22% (min)
Crude fat 10% (min)
Crude fibre 3.5% (max)
Moisture 9% (max)
Calcium 1% (min)
Phosphorus 0.8% (min)
Vitamin A 5,500 IU/kg (min)
Vitamin D3 550 IU/kg (min)
Vitamin E 220 IU/lkg (min)
Beta-Carotene 0.42 mg/kg (min)
Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.03% (min)
Omega-6 Fatty Acids 0.25% (min).

Kaytee Exact

Ingredients
Ground Wheat, Ground Corn, Corn Gluten Meal, Soybean Meal, Soy Oil, Wheat Middlings, Ground Peanuts, Ground Hulled Sunflower, Coconut Oil, Dried Whole Egg, Dried Beet Pulp, Ground Flaxseed, Dicalcium Phosphate, Calcium Carbonate, L-Lysine, Wheat Germ Meal, Brewer's Dried Yeast, Vitamin A Supplement, Salt Algae Meal (Source of DHA), Fructooligosaccharide, Yeast Extract, Potassium Sulfate, Choline Chloride, Dl-Methionine, L-Arginine, Propionic Acid, (a Preservative), Vitamin E Supplement, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Riboflavin Supplement, Mixed Tocopherols (a Preservative), L-Ascorbyl-2-Polyphosphate (Source of Vitamin C), Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Ferrous Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Manganous Oxide, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Source of Vitamin K Activity), Niacin, Rosemary Extract, Citric Acid, Ethoxyquin (a Preservative) Calcium Pantothenate, Copper Sulfate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, Thiamine Mononitrate, Cholecalciferol (Source of Vitamin D3), Folic Acid, Beta-Carotene, Calcium Iodate, Biotin, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Dried A. Oryzaefermentation Extract, Driedbacillus Licheniformisfermentation Product, and Driedbacillus Subtilisfermentation Product.

Guaranteed Analysis
Crude Protein
22.0% min​
Crude Fat
9.0% min​
Crude Fiber
5.0% max​
Moisture
10.0% max​
Omega-3 Fatty Acids
0.50% min​
Total Bacillus Species
250,000 CFU/g min​

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
So...i feel like a 5 year old looking at geometry lol is that simular enough to not cause harm?

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Sha ordered the new formula today and she said it will be there in time for the night time feedings. Thats why I believe shes making a straight switch. Is that harmful to the babies?
I've been trying to find information on it. Ideally, you would want to mix some of the formula she is using now with some of the new to transition them over. I don't think it will harm them.... maybe give them loose stool. I'll tag another member but she may not respond at the moment. When it boils down to it... if you are completely out of the other formula it looks like you have no choice if you can't find any of it locally around you.

@melissasparrots

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
Thank you. I think that's the issue its unavailable around us.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you. I think that's the issue its unavailable around us.
You're welcome. I hope the other arrives in time. Meanwhile... you might want to call around to any of the pet stores to see if they have any on hand they are using for feeding their babies ( providing they have babies they are currently feeding) Overall, I don't think it will harm them. If for any reason they do have any diarrhea... address it quickly with a vet. The babies might be put off a bit by a slight flavor change too.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I should say the main reason I am asking is because I'm thinking about homing one of these babies :)
I re-read this post. So, let me ask you... are you intending to hand feed a baby yourself?

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
I will not be hand feeding myself. I am interested in one day doing so but not now. Ive only hand fed a few times before and always Grey's so I just wouldn't feel comfortable feeding such a small baby in comparison.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I will not be hand feeding myself. I am interested in one day doing so but not now. Ive only hand fed a few times before and always Grey's so I just wouldn't feel comfortable feeding such a small baby in comparison.
I was gonna say... let the breeder wean the baby. Especially if she is doing a sudden change of formula brands and something did happen... it wouldn't be on your hands to deal with. I gotta go... can chat later in the day!

Sadiesbby

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Sadie
Thank you! Yeah...no handfeeding small babys for me not yet especially with this change! I have to sleep its 2am where I am lol

mythic55

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
I have used both.

The have different digestion rates is my main concern. Ideally formula should be mixed gradually to transition. She will notice the consistency is different- Kaytee is a bit smoother but interestingly enough has a slower digestion rate. The feces will change- the flavors are extremely different. All in, I prefer Tropican to Kaytee (and Intune to either of them).