• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

hattonautu

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Autumn hatton
I was willed a tramitized female parakeet named tweet. She was approx 8 mth when I got her. She witnessed her cage mate brutally murdered by my g-mothers dog :( I took her a little over a year ago after GMA got dementia an passed. She would freak out anytime someone got near her cage...I watched hours of 'bird tricks'/on you tube an have since been able to get her to come to my shoulder an to eat with me, an chase a ball around an free fly in my large room. It was goin great until she started laying eggs. :( Then every time I'd interact with her shes go into a trance an lay more. Ive tried about everything I can find on google to make her stop. Nothing helped.
Skip ahead a few weeks I got a cal about another female bird whos cage mate had just died so I thought maybe she needs to pair with an actual bird instead of me..
Turns out she was a he though an he is only teenager. Hes so timid an shy an curious an well, tweets a selfish bitter old lady I feel like. When they free fly together she will hollar for him to come find her an theyll fly an play together with me but this is day 4 of opening their cages to let them get used to the idea of being in one cage together an at first they did the normal pecking order routine an established tweet was the boss an mook was ok with this he doesnt mind doin what she tells him (hes such a sweet little bird) but last night I noticed she wasnt letting him eat at any of the 4 food dishes I out in the cage for them. She was literly following him from one to another. Today moon decided he'd had enough an pecked back an I let it go thinking good for him theyll straighten this out but its happened 3 times now an it seems to be escalating. One even cried out so I separated them for the night. What do you think? Any suggestions on how to get her to except him or do you think their is 2 much of an age gap.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Welcome to the Avenue Autumn

I have moved your thread to Behavior Byway forum for better visibility.

Kiwi's Dad

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sebastian
:welcomegroup:

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laura
Hi!
We have lots of very experienced parakeets keeps here who will do a better job st helping yiu i think. I just hsve 2 boys.

But I think introductions just need to go on longer. We all tend to rush things. I found realky taking months to create my flock , going very slow with each addition was very successful.

I would definitely cage separate but sidee by side . Letting them out together is great and fine tho! Lots of out of cage perches options and food dishes.

Get fake eggs for your female for next time she lays. Budgies lay a set number and every time you pull one of them they will lay another . So as she lays an egg replace it with one fake, each egg replaced with a fake one. Then leave until she looses interest in the clutch.

But don't encourage nesting. Don't provide anything nest like..

Im not an expert in chronic budgie egg layers. So heed anyone with more experience here.

Provide an excellent diet , with fresh leafy greens and veggies included. I offer boiled egg and the boiled egg shell to all of mine. Sometimes they realky crave the shell oth we times they are ignored fir long periods ( fresh shells each time tho, ha I don't leave old shells laying around, its offeredin morning pulled in afternoon)

Oh and thank you fir rescue!! Reakky sounds like you have done amazing job with her !!

Last edited:

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Then every time I'd interact with her shes go into a trance an lay more. Ive tried about everything I can find on google to make her stop. Nothing helped
How are you interacting with her?
Turns out she was a he though an he is only teenager.
Can you post a picture of him?

One even cried out so I separated them for the night. What do you think? Any suggestions on how to get her to except him or do you think their is 2 much of an age gap.
Keep them separated. I'd start the introduction all over again, and don't rush it.

I dont think there's too big an age gap, some older bird may not tolerate young ones sometimes though. My 8-9 year old budgie bonded with my 2-3 year old.

How to prevent breeding and egg laying.

• Reduce Daylight Hours.
  • Cover the cage so your bird(s) only gets 8 hours of daylight per day.
  • Why? Budgies naturally breed in the summertime when days are longer. This allows them more time to forage for food to feed their growing clutch of chicks. By reducing daylight hours, you will also reduce hormones that trigger a bird wanting to breed.

• Do not Overfeed.
  • Do not completely fill up your bird(s) food dish, or feed high fat/high protein foods.
  • Why? Budgies naturally breed when food is plentiful and easy to find. Budgies only need 1.5 teaspoons of seed per day. The rest of their diet should be vegetables and pellets.

• Re-arrange the cage frequently.
  • Move perches, rotate toys, rearrange ladders and swings, move food and water dishes. You can even move the entire cage to a new location in your house if you have the space to do so.
  • Why? Budgies will only want to breed when they feel safe and comfortable and have a stable environment. By changing things up frequently, you can reduce the chances of breeding behaviour.

• Remove any potential nesting spots.
  • Make sure there are no nest box, coconut shells, happy huts, grass baskets, pottery bowls, or anything else that is not meant for a budgie’s cage that could be mistaken for a nesting spot.
  • Why? Budgies can be opportunistic breeders and may use items that you think are unlikely nesting spots.

• Do not stroke or pet your budgie’s back, wings, rump.
  • If you want to touch your budgie, give it some loving scritches at the head and neck area. You need to avoid stroking your budgie’s back.
  • Why? Stroking a budgie’s back is like molesting your bird. It’s part of the mating process and should be avoided at all costs.

• Separate Male and Female birds.
  • Place your male and female birds in their own respective cages, or use a cage divider to separate them.
  • Why? If they can’t mate, they can’t breed.

• What happens if my bird accidentally lays an egg?
  • Don’t panic. Simply remove the egg from the cage and throw it out. You do not need to replace it with a fake egg! An average clutch for a budgie is 4-6 eggs, and she will not continue to lay eggs if you keep removing them. Budgies can’t count, and her body is not capable of producing an unlimited number of eggs.